Dallas, TX

Chiff and Fipple in your hometown.
Coffee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Dallas, TX

Post by Coffee »

ALCON,

Are there any chiffers in the Dallas area?
Any sessions going on in December?

v/r,
Coffee
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
MTGuru

Re: Dallas, TX

Post by MTGuru »

What is ALCON?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

In this case, I'm confident it's the military acronym for "All concerned".

First time I ever heard of it, too. Also had to look up "v/r". Google's the shiznit. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

It just hit me that I might have trouble communicating effectively after I retire...
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

It's getting onto 1500 hours. Gotta run. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

At least it's not a convention of aluminum enthusiasts.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Coffee wrote:Are there any chiffers in the Dallas area?
Any sessions going on in December?

v/r,
Coffee
There are, but I don't know if any are active here on C&F. I live two counties to the west, and only a good house concert will get me to drive to Dallas.

Or drive through it, if you don't have to.

But I digress... the Trinity Hall Irish Pub has an open session on the first Saturday of every month, and a (traditional) house band every Sunday. http://www.trinityhall.tv/music.htm

There may be more, but that's the only one I know of, and only because my teacher is in the house band.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Downtown's a lot nicer than it used to be, but aye, the traffic is hellish, especially for a backwoods hick from Hurricane Bayou...
But since the family is scattered across the metroplex...

Thanks for the tip about Trinity Hall; I'll have to check that out!
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

An updated list of D/FW extended area sessions, that I just got in an email from Ken Fleming of the Traditional Irish Music Education Society and the instigator of the O'Flaherty Irish Music Retreat:

Weekly Session at Celt Pub (formerly Churchill’s) in McKinney – Every Tuesday

This public session is held on Tuesday nights at 7:30 p.m. at the newly named Celt Pub at 100 N Tennessee St, McKinney, TX 75069 on the second floor. The session is led by David and Daniel Mehalko (of local band Flashpoint) and is open to trad musicians of all levels (as well as singers and dancers). Players will receive free drinks. For more info on the pub, go to http://www.churchillsmckinney.com/. For directions, go to MAP.

Weekly Session at J. Gilligan’s in Arlington – Every Tuesday

This public session is held on Tuesday nights at 7 p.m. at J. Gilligan’s Bar & Grill at 400 East Abram Street, Arlington, TX 76010 in a back room. The session is open to trad players of all levels, however, the music is played at dance tempo and faster. For more info on the pub, go to http://www.jgilligans.com/. For directions, go to MAP.

Monthly Learning Sessions in Dallas Area -- Saturdays
Jim Wells hosts several TIMES sessions in the area for beginning, intermediate and advanced players who like sharing tunes more slowly to permit better learning. If you are interested, contact Jim at jwellssr@att.net.

Bi-Weekly Session at Sweetwater Grill & Tavern in Denton – 2nd & 4th Saturdays
This TIMES session is held on 2nd and 4th Saturdays of each month from 3-5 p.m. at Sweetwater Grill & Tavern, 115 South Elm Street, Denton, TX 76201, one block south of the courthouse square. The session is led by John Murphy and will be located in their back dining room which is quieter than the bar. On good weather days or days when the back room is booked, sessions will be on their enclosed patio. For more info on the pub, go to http://sweetwatergrillandtavern.com/. For directions, go to MAP. For questions about the session and to be added to the reminder email list, contact John Murphy at jpm21228@gmail.com.

TIMES Session Players Perform Every Sunday at Trinity Hall Pub and Celt Irish Pub
If you like Irish trad music, come listen to our areas best players each Sunday from 3-6 p.m. at Trinity Hall Pub & Restaurant in Dallas and the Celt Irish Pub in McKinney. Players representing TIMES are seated each time, so the music changes from week to week based on who the players are. But one thing is certain, you’ll hear the “pure drop” from a variety of talented musicians. On third Sundays at Trinity Hall Pub, the players perform for a monthly “ceili” (Irish group dance) organized by Susan and Michael Harrison. To see the schedule of players, go to SCHEDULE. For more info on the pubs, go to http://www.trinityhall.tv/ and http://www.theceltmckinney.com/ .
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Thanks for that information.
Looks like I'm in Korea for the next couple of years.
Moving around like a tinker, I am...
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

My band used to play at Trinity Hall and at the Tipp when the Tipperary was still open. I've been to the J. Gilligan's session maybe 5 years ago and it was nice.

I'm in Virginia now, so I'm a bit out of the loop.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Cris Gale

Post by Cris Gale »

I occasionally host music meetups at my house and at Bob Woodruff south in Plano when the weather is nice. It's not so much a session as an open jam. My primary instrument is the ocarina, but I also play various whistles and flutes. We have a pretty small core group, but have a lot of fun and try to be welcoming of all people at all skill levels. The only caveat is that we aren't a session, though if you bring a tune we'll likely learn it!