The New Blackthorn Stick

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
ytliek
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

The New Blackthorn Stick

Post by ytliek »

colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: The New Blackthorn Stick

Post by colomon »

Woah.

Do you know if he's playing an A or a Bb clarinet? Either way, I'd think going back and forth between clarinet fingerings and whistle fingerings might be a bit brain-boggling....

(Bassoon, on the other hand, behaves quite nicely like a very low fully chromatic G whistle.)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

colomon wrote:Do you know if he's playing an A or a Bb clarinet? Either way, I'd think going back and forth between clarinet fingerings and whistle fingerings might be a bit brain-boggling....
I don't know which clarinet he's playing. I've only seen Andy Lamy a few times while playing Irish sessions at Dunne's Pub in White Plains, NY, and he always had two or three clarinets, along with a few whistles. I do know that Andy plays with the NJ Symphony Orchestra. We share a few Irish mutual friends.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

By a quick glance at his fingerings, he's clearly playing a Bb clarinet in a few of those clips. So G tunes in A fingering, D tunes in E fingering, etc. Not hard keys if you're an orchestral player. But playing through the throat register can still be awkward for an idiomatic flow. Maybe that's partly why he tongues as much as he does. If one of those three clarinets he uses is a relatively rare C clarinet, that would make sense.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

I did a quick check to see if I could find the key, I should just ask Andy Lamy on FB.

I asked, the clarinet is A with a Bb on a few tracks, "and there's also a bunch of low-C bass clarinet in B-flat on the album."

Meanwhile, I did find his kit of instruments. Copelands high and low.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Another teaser...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykGCJFR ... ture=share

Maybe there is room for the clarinet in Irish Trad. :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

ytliek wrote:Another teaser...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykGCJFR ... ture=share

Maybe there is room for the clarinet in Irish Trad. :)
There's a fellow in town who plays Trad on clarinet and he's pretty good, actually. I've only seen him at sessions maybe twice, and that was years ago. Call me hidebound, but his Trad chops aside, the sound just didn't work for me.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:Call me hidebound, but his Trad chops aside, the sound just didn't work for me.
Can't say the clarinet does it for me in trad either. But remember discussing recorders, flugelhorns and marimbas when I was new here?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Call me hidebound, but his Trad chops aside, the sound just didn't work for me.
Can't say the clarinet does it for me in trad either. But remember discussing recorders, flugelhorns and marimbas when I was new here?
Well, ya gotta do it all at least once, right? I remember another fellow who brought in a trumpet, but he was a drive-by who had to use the dots. Other than that and the noise, he wasn't bad.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Peter Duggan wrote:
The clarinet? the whistle has been my focus all along. I do like the tune 'Lord Mayo' and Joanie Madden's whistle playing set the standard as far as I'm concerned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FFJif06ipw
I'm just curious what Mary Bergin played on The New Blackthorn CD. I have to wait though.

I'm not so sure of where I stand on Trad instruments as there has been ever evolving expansion concerning instruments from long ago. Even some of the traditional instruments have adapted new "materials", plastics/polymers (replacing the woods), and carbon fiber, etc., that bring along (enhance?) the traditional music. So instruments change. Trad changes. To name a few, recent C&F threads have mentioned the whisolo (whatchamacallit), nyckelharpa, and the nyckelharpa joined the Cape Breton Celtic Colours International Festival this past Oct. 2014
http://www.celtic-colours.com/tag/nyckelharpa/
I had never heard of a nyckelharpa. Pretty cool and legitimized the instrument beyond the Swedish borders. And eventually 3-D printing of instruments is bound to expand the Trad music.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

ytliek wrote:I'm not so sure of where I stand on Trad instruments as there has been ever evolving expansion concerning instruments from long ago.
I don't much have it in me to push that envelope; I leave it to others to do what they will. If it catches on (I think the guitar was inevitable), it's part of the tradition. If it's to be a good fit for the great majority, I think it has to not only sound but look as if it had somehow always been there. I don't believe the melodica or euphonium will make that grade anytime soon, but they're good for a novelty. In that spirit, I once did a duo at a trad open mike event where we played the Harvest Home hornpipe on kazoos. It was fabulously dreadful.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EMFf_F ... e=youtu.be
The players seem to be quite a group, no?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

ytliek wrote:The players seem to be quite a group, no?
Sure, but it's still a clarinet!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Peter Duggan wrote:
ytliek wrote:The players seem to be quite a group, no?
Sure, but it's still a clarinet!
With all of the classically trained musicians out there the whole orchestra will want to get in on the Trad act. I'm not sure there's any stopping the expansion/dilution. Is there?
ytliek

Post by ytliek »