WTB: "Tuned Out" Book by Fintan Vallely

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
accordionstu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by accordionstu »

Ok I know it's not an instrument but I couldn't see anywhere else to post this. I am very interested in this book by Fintan, I thumbed through a very poorly looked after copy the other day and decided I wanted to buy one. I can see a few sites online where they are sold, just wondering if anyone has a second hand copy they might want to part with.

[Mod Note: That's fine, Stu. For the purposes of the Exchange, books and recordings are instruments, too. :-) ]
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
maracirac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

WTB "Tuned Out" Book by Fintan Vallely

Post by maracirac »

you be able to find it on ebay.co.uk .......
see: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... n&_sacat=0

marin
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Cork University Press, so these tend to be expensive books, so it's Euro 39 direct from them. Here's a list of copies you probably already found, beginning approx. USD 30.

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl ... 520ireland
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Amazon UK has used copies from £18 upward.

You may find Gary Hastings' 'With Fife and Drum' a good read too.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
My brain hurts

accordionstu

Re: WTB: "Tuned Out" Book by Fintan Vallely

Post by accordionstu »

Cheers Folks I'd seen all the usual sites that Google came up with and was ideally looking for a decent 2nd hand one. i have bought one from Amazon for £15 last night. Mr Gumby I have Gary Hastings book too, a good read as is David Cooper's "The Musical traditions of Northern Ireland and its Diaspora.

In the "Tuned Out" book, Fintan explores how alien it is for the thousands of flute players in the Protestant, Ulster Loyalist commuity to play Irish Traditional Music. There are approx 600 bands most of them flute bands with between 16 and 40 fluters in each band with a few topping 50+ fluters. In proportion to the population there's approx 1 in 10 people in a Loyalist Flute Band, yet most of them are unaware of the rich ITM music scene. those who are aware, have been brainwashed into thinking it is a purely Irish Republican phenomena

As someone who grew up playing in these marching bands and now enjoying ITM on the keyless D flute I am interested to hear Fintan's take on why Protestants don't play it. I have my own theories based on my own experiences but times are changing, there a re some very good players emerging from within the ranks of these bands, but i doubt they will ever feel comfortable playing in a session up the Falls Road, not yet anyway.
Brus

Post by Brus »

accordionstu wrote:As someone who grew up playing in these marching bands and now enjoying ITM on the keyless D flute I am interested to hear Fintan's take on why Protestants don't play it. I have my own theories based on my own experiences but times are changing, there a re some very good players emerging from within the ranks of these bands, but i doubt they will ever feel comfortable playing in a session up the Falls Road, not yet anyway.
Interestingly, I've seen a few articles recently about Ulster Protestants actually taking up the Irish language, like this one:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 01196.html

That seems like a much bigger step to me than people who are already musicians learning some jigs, reels and hornpipes.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

Brus wrote: Interestingly, I've seen a few articles recently about Ulster Protestants actually taking up the Irish language, like this one:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 01196.html

That seems like a much bigger step to me than people who are already musicians learning some jigs, reels and hornpipes.
Very interesting though hardly relevant considering this forum is for music. The Irish Language is a beautiful language however few people speak it. Yu Ming is Ainm Dom...
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

accordionstu wrote:Very interesting though hardly relevant considering this forum is for music.
Well, we do maintain the small Irish Language subsection here on the board. And given the role of the language in the music - for example, tune titles, and song lyrics associated with airs - I'd say we consider incidental discussion of Irish and Scottish language issues in the music sections to be in-bounds. - Mod
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

Thanks for that MTGuru, I think this post has gone off topic so can it be buried. Is there a draught in the room or is it just me? :sniffle:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

It's all good, Stu, and you're golden. :)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.