Can anyone identify this Irish reel?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
madjackoftheboneyard
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Can anyone identify this Irish reel?

Post by madjackoftheboneyard »

Hello there!

We've been playing this tune for quite a while now but are still unsure what it's actually called! We know it as Boneparte's Retreat but the melody for other versions of that song sound very different. Any help would be very much appreciated :)

http://youtu.be/Y90lBZT-tpo
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Can anyone identify this Irish feel?

Post by benhall.1 »

I know it as the tune for the song "The Hot Ashphelt" (which we always spelt just like that :) ).

I don't think of it as a reel, but maybe somewhere it's played as a reel, not sure.

Dunno whether that helps ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I know it as The Peacock's Feather. It's a hornpipe, but you hear it played as if it were a reel now and again in the States, a practice I attribute to Old Time and Bluegrass influences. Normally, the A and B sections would be played twice each before going back for another turn.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:I know it as The Peacock's Feather. It's a hornpipe, but you hear it played as if it were a reel now and again in the States, a practice I attribute to Old Time and Bluegrass influences.
Oh, is that one of the Peacocks Feathers tunes? Funny, I thought it was a hornpipe originally but couldn't quite place it ... apart from its use in that song.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I know it as The Peacock's Feather. It's a hornpipe, but you hear it played as if it were a reel now and again in the States, a practice I attribute to Old Time and Bluegrass influences.
Oh, is that one of the Peacocks Feathers tunes?
I didn't know there were others.
benhall.1 wrote:Funny, I thought it was a hornpipe originally but couldn't quite place it ... apart from its use in that song.
And I have no knowledge of the song. I'll have to look it up. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
Oh, is that one of the Peacocks Feathers tunes?
I didn't know there were others.
Here's one, although I know there are others. I'm just trying to think where I might find them ... Oh, and btw, I play the one linked to much more simply that the notation on the session.org. I think most people do nowadays, though maybe they're just following me out of politeness.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

madjackoftheboneyard wrote:We've been playing this tune for quite a while now but are still unsure what it's actually called! We know it as Boneparte's Retreat but the melody for other versions of that song sound very different.
It think your tune is usually called Bonaparte Crossing the Rocky Mountains in the American Old Time tradition, where it's played as a reel.

In the Irish tradition it's called the same, or Bonaparte Crossing the Rhine (or other names) and played more as a hornpipe, at about half the speed you're going in that video. :-) To my ear, it's also related to the tune Toomgrainey Castle.

There are a bunch of Napoleon and Bonaparte tunes, and the titles tend to be somewhat, er, mix-and-match. But I think you're safe with the Rockies on this one. HTH ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Hmmm ... I've had another good think. I don't think that's the Peacock's Feather at all. Or, if it is, it's not one I've come across. I think, Nano, you may be thinking of this one but I'm certain it's not that. The tune those fellas are playing is the same tune as the song I mentioned, and that's different from that Peacock's Feather. I know it has a similar feel, but it's not the same tune.

[Cross-posted with Mr Guru Sir, and I think he's right. :) ]
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Here's one, although I know there are others. I'm just trying to think where I might find them ... Oh, and btw, I play the one linked to much more simply that the notation on the session.org. I think most people do nowadays, though maybe they're just following me out of politeness.
Thanks, Ben. I know I've heard that one before, but not often. I think of that one as a barndance, but you know how nitpicky I can be about these things. :)

Right, okay. The B section to the song, the B section to the hornpipe I'm referring to, and the B section in the OP's link are all different from each other. So I suppose you could call it whatever you like.
benhall.1 wrote:Hmmm ... I've had another good think. I don't think that's the Peacock's Feather at all. Or, if it is, it's not one I've come across. I think, Nano, you may be thinking of this one but I'm certain it's not that. The tune those fellas are playing is the same tune as the song I mentioned, and that's different from that Peacock's Feather. I know it has a similar feel, but it's not the same tune.

[Cross-posted with Mr Guru Sir, and I think he's right. :) ]
Yes, that's the tune I mean.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

benhall.1 wrote:Oh, is that one of the Peacocks Feathers tunes?
No, I really don't think so. Nano's ID is for the birds. :-) There is a minor and a major Peacock hornpipe, which I play together as a set in that order (and you've now linked to both of them!). But Boney is a tune of a different feather.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

MTGuru wrote:
No, I really don't think so. Nano's ID is for the birds. :-) There is a minor and a major Peacock hornpipe, which I play together as a set in that order. But Boney is a tune of a different feather.
Yes. I agree. I always did. :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:
No, I really don't think so. Nano's ID is for the birds. :-)
Well, all I know is that we call it The Peacock's Feather hereabouts. We're very parochial here in Minneapolis. :wink:
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Oh, and for Nano, there's another Peacock's Feather - and English form - in G in The Fiddler's Companion. I've seen and heard more in the past though ... I'll keep looking ...

http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/PEA_PER.htm
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Oh, and for Nano, there's another Peacock's Feather - and English form - in G in The Fiddler's Companion. I've seen and heard more in the past though ... I'll keep looking ...

http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/PEA_PER.htm
Get me enough and maybe I can make a hat.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:t think your tune is usually called Bonaparte Crossing the Rocky Mountains in the American Old Time tradition, where it's played as a reel.
Man, that Bonaparte feller got around. If there isn't a Bonaparte Crossing The Street, there should be. :)