Unusual Session Instruments.

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
ThomasNashJohnson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Unusual Session Instruments.

Post by ThomasNashJohnson »

Attended a Session in a nearby town last night, and a young lady turned up with a Djembe. First time I've ever encountered one of those. Has anyone else come across 'Unusual' instruments at a Session?
'A Brilliant Sense of Atmospheric Changes'
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Unusual Session Instruments.

Post by pancelticpiper »

A djembe would be a bit much at an Irish session, but it works great with the Highland pipes! They're of a like volume.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Djimbes put off a bit of a counteractive vibe for this type of music, in my opinion. They just don't sound right in Irish trad. Good for other things, though.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I've seen a clarinet... Not a bad sound but a bit tough on the clarinettist as you have to add 2 sharps to everything (and most of our stuff is already in a sharp key). I have seen a djembe and thought it was OK if not played to loudly. The only problem with a djembe is that it doesn't really allow for all the nuances a bodhran can provide.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
ThomasNashJohnson

Post by ThomasNashJohnson »

It was fairly unobtrusive last night, but the player insisted on playing the same accompaniment more or less to every tune.
'A Brilliant Sense of Atmospheric Changes'
MzMolly65

Post by MzMolly65 »

I went to my very first session last night and there was a young woman playing a Ruan. I smiled at the international thoughts .. American with a Ruan playing Celtic music ..
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

We've had a Hurdy Gurdy player show up to our session once. Luckily hers was tuned to G and she was smart enough to stay out of the tunes she couldn't play. Another time we had a didgridoo(sp?) player....he scared off our piper!
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

You'd be hard pushed to beat Dan for "unusual instruments in Irish music". Sorry, the clip is quite quiet.

http://youtu.be/xVv4Z_mYi38
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Kristof

Post by Kristof »

On a lot of german bal folk festivals there is a strikt ban of djembes in sessions and actually at the whole festival :)

But I had some sessions with people playing the melodica. In Eindhoven (NL) it was gipsy guitar, ukulele, whistle, melodica, ocarina, some percussion and a tea box bass :lol:
_______

Greetings from
Kristof
robehickman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by robehickman »

@Kristof Where have you seen ocarina players? Besides myself and Jack Campin, I'm not aware of many serious trad ocarina players.

The ocarina is my main instrument, and I've been playing at a few sessions recently. It's very difficult to play irish music well. The pitch is highly unstable and is verry hard to control with the speed this music is typically played. The lack of range is also a big problem with the typical D to b range, a 10 hole in D gives you D to g, which works for some tunes, often with a lot of note substitution.

A pacchioni-system double, featuring note overlap in the chambers may be manageable, tuned in D would give the high A and B.

I see it being more suitable for other traditions with smaller note range, commonly bagpipe music from several traditions. A 1 hole G has almost the same range as 'swane style'/'english border'/french pipes. They will also fit all GHB music, though it's much easier if the C is tuned to c#, effectively swapping two holes.
Kristof

Post by Kristof »

robehickman wrote:@Kristof Where have you seen ocarina players? Besides myself and Jack Campin, I'm not aware of many serious trad ocarina players.
I don't know if he's trad., but Hans Houkes builds and plays them in The Netherlands

Here is a video of him building and playing one:
http://youtu.be/MkUdIJiutec
_______

Greetings from
Kristof
Ian Lawther
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ian Lawther »

Someone turned up at a session I used to go to in England with a metal clarinet in G.....unusual version of an unusual session instrument
Ian
meuritt

Post by meuritt »

at one local session we have the melodica, what a strange sound, cheap reeds I would guess and the plastic body doesn't help much.

At another session we have dobro, rather two, though one hardly ever plays a note..
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Ok, this isn't at a session, but definitely out of the ordinary for ITM...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEk-gj0douk