Air: My Love Is A Band Boy

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
bensdad

Re: Air: My Love Is A Band Boy

Post by bensdad »

First thing that title suggested was a Catholic girl in love with a Protestant
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

bensdad wrote:First thing that title suggested was a Catholic girl in love with a Protestant
Maybe, but not necessarily, I think. I imagine that Irish regiments recruited band boys of either persuasion. So the dramatis personae of the title could be either.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

MTGuru wrote:
bensdad wrote:First thing that title suggested was a Catholic girl in love with a Protestant
Maybe, but not necessarily, I think. I imagine that Irish regiments recruited band boys of either persuasion. So the dramatis personae of the title could be either.
I think bensdad may be talking about a different meaning of the word "band" there, Mr Guru Sir. Maybe as a synonym for "sash" perhaps.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
MTGuru wrote:
I think bensdad may be talking about a different meaning of the word "band" there, Mr Guru Sir. Maybe as a synonym for "sash" perhaps.
I confess I had wondered if the word "band" in this instance might not be that, and going further, be the reference point to such a difficult love; it should be noted that the word "band" in this context has tended to have greater use outside those marching associations, which might lend support to bensdad's suggestion of the unfortunate divide.

The whole thing's too vague to pin down easily, though. This is why I've cast my net hoping for word from the knowledgeable, but only, mind you, out of interest. I like knowing roots and sources, whatever they may be, when I can get them.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

benhall.1 wrote:I think bensdad may be talking about a different meaning of the word "band" there, Mr Guru Sir. Maybe as a synonym for "sash" perhaps.
Sure, I get that, Sir Ben. As I said: maybe. I'd want evidence, contemporary with the tune, that "band boy" is/was used in that context, whereas the regimental usage seems well established. And even if so, the title doesn't necessarily imply a sectarian divide at all, unless you want to read that into it.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:...unless you want to read that into it.
Then I have no problem opting to read into it the possible meaning of a broader wish for peace. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

OT;
I have always liked this song by Mickey Macconnell
as sung by Frank Harte

http://www.mickeymacconnell.com/Lyrics% ... rummer.htm