Learning tunes you don't like

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Learning tunes you don't like

Post by benhall.1 »

I've finally made myself learn Beare Island properly. Can't say I like the tune, but a lot of people play it, and it was already pretty much in my head, so I thought I might as well play the thing.

Now, is this a good idea, d'ya think? This learning tunes you're not especially fond of? I mean, the only reason I've learnt it really is so I can play it when someone wants to and not all that many others know it, or when everyone knows it etc. In other words, I've only learnt it for sessions, just to join in. Seems like a naff reason to me, but I'd be interested in other opinions.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Learning tunes you don't like

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:Now, is this a good idea, d'ya think? This learning tunes you're not especially fond of?
Not especially, no! :wink:
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:I've finally made myself learn Beare Island properly. Can't say I like the tune, but a lot of people play it, and it was already pretty much in my head, so I thought I might as well play the thing.

Now, is this a good idea, d'ya think? This learning tunes you're not especially fond of? I mean, the only reason I've learnt it really is so I can play it when someone wants to and not all that many others know it, or when everyone knows it etc. In other words, I've only learnt it for sessions, just to join in. Seems like a naff reason to me, but I'd be interested in other opinions.
If you need a reason other than liking it, social motivation can be reason enough, but the main potential drawback that occurs to me would be that if you make yourself learn it despite not liking it, you may only play it to "get through" it, and that half-heartedness may be reflected in your playing. Not really a good thing, is it. So when I'm playing a tune I don't like, I try to rise above my feelings and bring freshness to it because, well, there you are, so you might as well give it the old college try. Tackling an otherwise unloved tune with the goal of making it interesting, even ultimately enjoyable, can be a good exercise for your musicianship, I think. On the other hand, we needn't wear hair shirts just on principle. :)

Now, I learned Ríl Bhéara precisely because A) I really like it as a flute tune, and B) it makes me use those keys I paid for, but unlike your situation nobody around my sessions plays it, so in time it withered away from my repertory. You've made me pine for it again, curse you.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

If, as you suggest, by learning the tune yourself so that you can support and/or encourage other musicians who *do* like the tune (but presumably don't have the skill or confidence to lead it) that's a laudable and perfectly reasonable aim in its own right.

If that's not motivation enough though, and if there's no particular social and/or economic benefit to you playing that tune, then I'd suggest you take the appearance of Beare Island as an opportunity to nip to the bar, stretch your legs, or whatever.

There are so many brilliant tunes out there, why waste playing time on tunes you don't like - unless, as I say, there's some other benefit to playing them?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Good topic, by the way. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Good topic, by the way. :)
Thanks. I'm enjoying the thoughts so far. Things I hadn't thought of. Which I guess is the point of starting something like this in the first place. :)
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:social motivation can be reason enough
Now, for instance, that's one of the things I hadn't thought of. Despite the fact that it's right there, implied in my OP. Duh! :sniffle:
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:Thanks. I'm enjoying the thoughts so far. Things I hadn't thought of.
Like you (or Nano!) sending everyone scurrying to check out a tune you don't like?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Thanks. I'm enjoying the thoughts so far. Things I hadn't thought of.
Like you (or Nano!) sending everyone scurrying to check out a tune you don't like?
Sometimes I think we need a 'like' button round here. :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

It's worth knowing of, at least. And it's a test of the whistler's half-holing chops, for sure. :)

I'll tell you what tune I probably like least: the Dingle Regatta jig (3-part iteration). Why did I learn it, then? Not much choice. It's one of the canonical beginner's tunes. I'll play it at a session if others start it, but I haven't yet come to terms with it.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:It's worth knowing of, at least. And it's a test of the whistler's half-holing chops, for sure. :)

I'll tell you what tune I probably like least: the Dingle Regatta jig (3-part iteration). Why did I learn it, then? Not much choice. It's one of the canonical beginner's tunes. I'll play it at a session if others start it, but I haven't yet come to terms with it.
I absolutely lur-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-ve Dingle Regatta!!! I always play it, in any session I'm in. And I ALWAYS do the actions. :twisted:

Seriously. I do.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:I absolutely lur-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-ve Dingle Regatta!!! I always play it, in any session I'm in. And I ALWAYS do the actions. :twisted:
Fair enough. Ummm...what actions?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

You mean you don't shout "HI HO DIDDLEY-OH!" and stand up at the start of the third part????? And you call yourself a trad musician! Pa!

:D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:You mean you don't shout "HI HO DIDDLEY-OH!" and stand up at the start of the third part????? And you call yourself a trad musician! Pa!

:D
Oh, come on. You can't shout and flute at the same time. And don't call me Dad, son.

The one time I really enjoyed playing it was when a fellow started the tune with an evil glint in his eye, and with each successive turn played it faster and faster and faster and faster until we had the most spectacular trainwreck at the end. It was epic. :thumbsup:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I used to dislike the Sally Gardens until I heard a world-class fluter treat it as a slow reel full of all sorts of ornamental encrustations; the end result was honestly tasty and changed my attitude about the tune entirely. It was a demonstration of how a tune, any tune, has the potential to be made attractive, and it was a revelation to me.