Peadar Ó Riada adjudicator of new Irish Tune Competition

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
tradconnect
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Peadar Ó Riada adjudicator of new Irish Tune Competition

Post by tradconnect »

Peadar O' Riada has been announced as the adjudicator of a major new Irish traditional tune competition that has just been launched on http://www.tradconnect.com. A "New Tune Composition for 2014" is a partnership between Tradconnect and the award winning concert series Tunes in the Church, organised by Cormac Begley. Tony Lawless, Founder of Tradconnect, explains that "this is really a showcase for composers of Irish traditional music and is not a competition as such.” Although a prize for the selected tunes exists we have done this solely as an incentive to get people to submit their work. Over the course of this campaign we hope to uncover and highlight as many composers as possible

A standout tune will be selected by Peadar Ó Riada and the winning composer will receive a cheque for €500 plus the opportunity to have their tune included on the next Tunes in the Church album. In addition to this prize a segment of a submitted tune will ring out on the bells of St. Nicholas’ Collegiate Church, Galway to signal the start of each Tunes in the Church concert. Speaking about the competition Cormac Begley said "it is great to be involved in an initiative that encourages and provides a space for composers of traditional tunes to share their music with others. There are so many beautiful traditional tunes composed by people who haven’t the means to, or have no interest in recording their tunes commercially. These tunes would bring great pleasure to musicians and listeners alike. I’m also very excited by the idea that a snippet of a submitted tune will ring out on the oldest bells in Galway city for everyone to hear.”

The appointment of Peadar O' Riada as the final adjudicator brings on board a giant of traditional music and composition and Tony Lawless expressed his delight at this outcome " We are so pleased that Peadar has come on board. He personifies everything that is great about this tradition and his contribution to traditional arts in this country is unmatched. He has produced so much great music over the years including his outstanding work with Triúr featuring Martin Hayes and Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh, not to mention his own Gradam Ceoil Award for Composition in 2008."

For more information visit http://tradconnect.com/profiles/blogs/new-tune
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: Peadar Ó Riada adjudicator of new Irish Tune Competition

Post by colomon »

I'm planning on submitting a tune -- if I can get organized enough to actually get it recorded!
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Peadar Ó Riada adjudicator of new Irish Tune Competition

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Rock on, Sol! I'm rooting for you.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.