Seisiun Featuring Freeman, Ringrose, & Whelan

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Cayden
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Seisiun Featuring Freeman, Ringrose, & Whelan

Post by Cayden »

On April 24th, I had the great pleasure of attending a seisiun hosted by the P.V. O' Donnell Branch of CCE in Milford, Connecticut. Well attended by Trad enthusiasts, all were witness to an evening of the superb musicianship of Jeanne Freeman, Dan Ringrose and John Whelan.

Playing music from her recently released CD "THE FIDDLER IN YOU", the musical virtuosity of Jeanne Freeman brought me nearly to tears as she played a lament that tore at my Irish soul. The Donegal style was clearly evident in Jeanne Freeman's fiddling and surely her mentor, the late P.V. O' Donnell is smiling down from the Heavens every time she draws her bow across the strings.

Dan Ringrose was captivating and his masterful guitar and vocals were further complimented by his abilities at fully engaging the audience. I approached Dan after the seisiun and told him how very much he reminded me of Tommy Makem. Dan was visibly moved and graciously replied, "Thank you, Tommy was my musical hero". Dan went on to tell me that he had collaborated with Tommy on a number of projects shortly before his passing. It was

clear from our conversation that Dan Ringrose treasured the music and time he shared with Tommy Makem. Myself, a fan of The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem and the rich legacy of music they left to the world, I am grateful for the continuity that Dan and his music bring to the tradition from those masters that certainly left their influence in him.

John Whelan was noticeably absent from the earliest part of the seisiun and a smile from ear to ear came across my face as I watched him come through the door. I absolutely love button accordion, an instrument that I most readily associate with John Whelan. To watch John play, is to watch a master who loves what he does. John's playing on button accordion always transports me back in time to the day's when both of my daughters were highly involved with Irish dance. The playing of reels, jigs, hornpipes, and slip jigs were a constant within our home, as were the recordings of John Whelan. Having produced Jeanne Freeman on THE FIDDLER IN YOU, there was a palpable tightness among Jeanne, Dan, and
John, musical precision personified and all of that delivered by some very personable and gracious artists of magnificent talent.

A number of members of the P.V.O'Donnell Branch of CCE joined the featured players throughout the evening and grand craic flowed freely among friends, old and new. A truly wonderful night was had by all.

Slainte,
Cayden

"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!