Irish style

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Irish style

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I was just rambling earlier
Yes, I thought so.

:)
It's stream-of-nanoconsciousness.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I was just rambling earlier
Yes, I thought so.

It's stream-of-nanoconsciousness.
Tiny stream, then?

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

... probably more like a drip ... :twisted:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote: Tiny stream, then?

Tinier than that.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Ben Steen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Ben Steen »

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Sorry; I watched it, but wouldn't you know - I got distracted by the other videos.
Ben Steen

Re: Nano style . . .

Post by Ben Steen »

You're 3 Xs a nano, Nanohedron. I'd be very concerned if you weren't distracted away from that clip.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Reptilian shapeshifters, man. They have proof.
Ben Steen

Re: Nanohedron streaming live . . .

Post by Ben Steen »

Don't know what that means, but then you can post whatever response you feel like posting.

Thank you & good night.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

Writing about musical styles is like writing about sex. If the reader has no experience in the topic, then all the words in the world are pretty pointless.
benhall.1 wrote:BTW, Cathy, there's something that I've been puzzling about to do with hornpipes (and reels) for the last few years. I agree with you that hornpipes seem linked in four pairs of notes whereas reels seem linked in two fours within a bar. However, a very well known musician at a summer school the other year (4 years ago?) suggested that pulses might be two in a bar for hornpipes and four in a bar for reels. It's had me thinking ever since.
In highland piping we write hornpipes in 2/4. The basic melody structure is written as two groups of four 16th notes. Writing them in 4/4 might have come about as a way to cut the publication cost. Or it might just be a difference of opinion.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

highland-piper wrote:
In highland piping we write hornpipes in 2/4. The basic melody structure is written as two groups of four 16th notes. Writing them in 4/4 might have come about as a way to cut the publication cost. Or it might just be a difference of opinion.
I choose B. :) I still hear them in 2/4. AND NOW, I think I now know why: it's the way they end. So many hornpipes I know finish with a |quarter note-quarter note|half-note feel. A random survey of the first three hornpipes that came to mind turns up ...

X: 1
T:Cork Hornpipe (Harvest Home) %fs1<bb
B:FS1.34b
F:023cork
M:4/4
L:1/8
Q:280
R:Hornpipe
K:D
A2|DAFA DAFA|defe dcBA|eAfA gAfA|(3efe (3dcB (3ABA (3GFE|
DAFA DAFA|defe dcBA|eAfA gece|d2f2 d2 :|
cd|eA~A2 fA~A2|gAfA eA~A2|eAfA gAfA|(3efe (3dcB (3ABA (3GFE|
DAFA DAFA|defe dcBA|eAfA gece|d2f2 d2 :|

T:Tomorrow Morning
M:4/4
B:O'Neill's 1661
f-e \
| dAFA dfed | ecAc egfe | fafd Bged | c2 A2 A2 f-e |
| dAFA dfed | ecAc egfe | fafd Bgec | d2 d2 d2 :|
|: f-g \
| afdf a2 g-f | gece g2 f-e | fafd Bged | c2A2A2 f-e |
| dAFA dfed | ecAc egfe | fafd Bgec | d2 d2 d2 :|

T:The Plains of Boyle
M:C|
FG|"D"AFDE FEDF|(3ABA "G"GB "D"AF D2|fedf "A"edce|"G"dBAB "C"=cA"G"BG|
"D"AFDE FEDF|(3ABA "G"GB "D"AF D2|fedB "A"(3ABA GE|\
"D"F2 D2 D2:||:fg|"D"afdf "G"g2 fe|
"D"dfed BAFG|(3ABA FA BAFA|A2 FA BAfg|afdf "G"g2 fe|"D"dfed BAFG|
A3 F "A"GBAG|"D"F2 D2 D2:|

Wha-hey! Mystery solved. It's that "dum-dum duuum" ending that has me hearing them in 2/4. I feel better, anyway :-D
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

Here are a couple published examples from 1905:

http://riffspot.com/music/title/m/marqu ... -hornpipe/
http://riffspot.com/music/title/c/coopers-hornpipe/

Harding's All-Round Collection of Jigs, Reels, and Country Dances

Apparently from a schizophrenic editor. OR maybe just reflecting on two different traditions?

That's actually a pretty neat book -- seems to live up to it's title ;-)
cboody

Post by cboody »

This is just a guess, and I can provide no references for it, but I think the issue of which way to write hornpipes (and perhaps reels too) came from the traditional players who adhered to the "only crochets and quavers" rule. Most of the tunes in the irish tradition that are not in triple meters can be written with just two note lengths. Keeping it to just crochets and quavers meant that learners who wanted to read music really only had to learn about two kinds of notes and the 2 to 1 relationship between them. I suspect books that use other methods of notating the tunes may be folks trained in music where other combinations of notes would not be an issue. Think about the Beethoven slow movements that are notated in 32nd notes and 64th notes! (would that be hemi-semi-quavers and hemi-demi-semi-quavers??) I remember one of my friends telling me about asking an old trad player in Ireland if the last note was a half note (brev?). The response was "there are only two note lengths, crochets and quavers." My friend ended the transcription with a crochet and a crochet rest.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Sounds perfectly logical to me! Thanks for spelling it out a little better. I've gotten confused every darned time I try to tackle the whole crotchet-quaver thing, and take refuge in my "first language."
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

cboody wrote:This is just a guess, and I can provide no references for it, but I think the issue of which way to write hornpipes (and perhaps reels too) came from the traditional players who adhered to the "only crochets and quavers" rule. Most of the tunes in the irish tradition that are not in triple meters can be written with just two note lengths.
The number of lengths is independent of the time signature.

Hornpipes, the way they're played, have three lengths of notes, unless you assume the reader understands the swing and write them straight.