hornpipes

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
john

hornpipes

Post by john »

Does anyone know what it in the nature of a hornpipe that resists being played as a reel? I don't think it can be done, you just can't play it without leaning on every other note. It's as though there's something in the dna of a hornpipe that insists that it only be played as such.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: hornpipes

Post by Nanohedron »

This has been a topic before - and I personally get what you're saying. However, people DO play hornpipes as reels, either because they can and want to mix it up, or they need another reel for the dancers and the hornpipe that just popped out can be made to do with a little tweaking, or maybe they just learned a tune that way and don't know any differently.

Me, when I hear a hornpipe played as a reel, it always sticks out because there's a particular structure that is signature to typical hornpipes, quite distinct from that of the typical reel, and that structure endures no matter how you play it. In that sense, to me it isn't really a reel at all (and to me, ever); it's just being played as if it were one. OTOH, if it's played like a reel and, moreover, people are happily dancing reels to it, then functionally what you have going there is, for all momentary practical purposes, a reel.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

So ... it's not a reel ... unless it is!

:D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Exactly. :boggle:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Well, thanks for putting us all right on that one. I'll know now.

:)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I but observe.

Personally, I prefer keeping reels and hornpipes distinct so they may be celebrated to the fullest extent of their own particular intended glories, but that is perhaps over-rigid of me, a pedant's stance being possible testament to traces of still-lingering n00bosity.

Although I just call it personal taste. :wink: