Medieval Celtic Band

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
kingseesar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Medieval Celtic Band

Post by kingseesar »

Hi all!

I'm not sure if this post belongs here or not, but I thought I'd risk it here since the underlying topic is Irish music:

I wanted to see if any of you had heard of or liked the Medieval band PerKelt? The reason I ask is that they play what they call Medieval Celtic Speed Folk, and although I don't know if that's the most correct label for them, the style is definitely Celtic influenced, even though the base for most of their songs comes from other places (or really other times, as it's Medieval music!)

Does anyone else consider them a fringe sort of Celtic band as I do? Even if not, anyone else here a fan? They toured through Ireland this past summer and I got to see them. They were really impressive and down to Earth as well as good musicians, especially the wind player who could really knock out a melody like nobody's business!

I assume it's permissible to post a link to their website. Check them out and see what you think. I read on their Facebook page they plan on returning to Ireland sometime next year. I'll be seeing them again when they do!

http://perkelt.com/PerKelt_UK.php

Enjoy!
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Medieval Celtic Band

Post by Kypfer »

Check them out and see what you think
... well, it's probably not "Irish", but it's rather nice :) ... love the recorder!! ... will download the music, thanks for the link 8)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
kingseesar

Post by kingseesar »

Kypfer wrote:
... well, it's probably not "Irish", but it's rather nice :) ... love the recorder!! ... will download the music, thanks for the link 8)
Yeah. See... I mean they definitely have an Irish influence, but it's not traditional tunes. The scales and the use of the instruments are similar. The percussionist plays bohdran sometimes and the recorder player uses it like a tin whistle, but it's not really Irish, is it? Glad you liked it, though! I think they're great and trust me - they're MUCH better live!
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

Since there probably aren't many Medieval inspired Celtic bands, here's another you might want to check out:

http://brizeus.com/

I have their album and I like it, but it's not my favorite.

The piper is EJ Jones, who is my favorite. He makes the pipes they play.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

kingseesar, I am trying to make sense of your posts.

A few months ago, you introduced yourself here to the Chiffboard as Will [Connor], a member of the band PerKelt looking for gigs in Ireland:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=93357

Now you are claiming to be merely a fan of the band with very positive opinions about the group, and who "got to see them" when they toured Ireland.

So which is is? :really:

- MTGuru / Moderator
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
kingseesar

Post by kingseesar »

Hi all,

No. This isn't Will, but I must come clean: It is Will's computer. I'm a friend of the band's house-sitting this weekend and I thought I'd start a discussion about them because I am a d fan. They didn't know I did it, though, and I didn't realise I was using Will's account. Still, that's not so good of me. I emailed Will already and he's not so happy about it, but what's done is done. My questions are still valid - are they Irish/Celtic? I did see them in Belfast and Dublin and I do think they are great live (thus my posting), but again, it was not sanctioned by the band, so I apologise and I will not be posting here again. Will may when he returns; I don't know. Please don't let this sway your opinion of the band as they are an excellent band and they didn't know I was going to post here.

Cheers for reading and goodbye!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

This is one of the worst breaches of ethics I've seen here on our board.

If you, the poster, are actually Will Connor, then pretending to be a fan in order to promote and post glowing opinions of your own band is the worst kind of dishonesty.

If you are, in fact, not Will but a "friend of the band's", then failure to disclose that personal relationship is equally dishonest. "I did not realise I was using Will's account" is simply not credible, as your posts clearly appear under the kingseesar user name. You have compromised a personal account and damaged the integrity of the band on this site.

A shameful performance either way. This thread is locked.

- MTGuru / Moderator
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.