Another name for Matt Molloy's "Mulvihill's"?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

For a long time I've been enchanted by Matt Molloy's tune "Mulvihill's" that he plays back to back with "Wallop the Spot". It is a double jig.

The only "Mulvihill's" double jig I've ever come across is the tune also known as "Dusty Windowsills" or "Austin Barrets," which bears no resemblance (to my ear, anyway) to the tune he plays on this CD.

Can anyone ID this jig he's playing for me, with a more common name?

Thanks!

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Can you give a few opening bars for those of us unaware of Molloy's recordings?

James Kelly though on his 'Capel Street' album recorded a set of tunes he called Mulvihill's, one of those is in O'Neill's one tone lower than Kelly played as 'The Short Grass'. But that is probably a totally different one again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2003-02-07 06:27 ]</font>
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I've been listening to it this morning. It's in the key of D (actually in B on the recording, he's playing it on an old Hawkes B flute). Starts out thusly (excuse my abcs...I'm okay on writing out the notes but not on their timing):

BCdCBCBABAFF2defeCACBBB

(The F2 in the middle there is supposed to be a long roll on F sharp...dunno if that's the way to write it).

After that it goes:

CdBdCACBAFF2EDFF2EFBBB

(again the F2's are long rolls on f natural)

The beginning is similar in structure to the beginning of the jig Young Tom Ennis (which is in A-minor I believe), but very much a different tune. I can't recall hearing it anywhere but on Matt Molloy's "Shadows on Stone."

(By the way, "The Dusty Windowsill" was composed by whistle player Tommy Harling of Chicago and is often called Harling's jig for that reason.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bradhurley on 2003-02-07 08:25 ]</font>
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

One of the James Kelly ones goes;

Bc dcB cBA BAF FBc dcB ecA cBB B2

which seems similar-ish. He goes full the BMinor though with all C and F sharp. I have no other name fot it.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

There is a RealAudio clip of this jig on Amazon.com if you'd like to hear a bit of him playing it. (Forgive the length of the URL...I hope this link will work.)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... c&n=507846

Thanks to everyone for their help with this.

Best,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Narrowing it down a little, Kelly calls it Charlie Mulvihill's (accordion player who recorded with fiddler Paddy Reynolds in the early 1970s).

That's as good a name for the tune as any, I'd say.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

It is ofcourse but he calls both jigs Charlie Mulvihill's and Iknow of at least another one called so. [dAF AGF dAF AGF etc].
Like James I'd prefer a 'proper' name.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

There are also several reels called Charlie Mulvihill's and at least one hornpipe. Some of these tunes were his own compositions, and perhaps he (like Paddy Fahey) didn't put names on his tunes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bradhurley on 2003-02-07 10:51 ]</font>