New tune - what do you think?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

New tune - what do you think?

Post by benhall.1 »

OK. So I've written this new tune. I haven't quite got the hang of it yet, but here's a first stab at it - bit rushed in places, and scrappy in others.

Still, if you can see past all that, what do you think of the tune? Honest answers appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4YIo4GJ ... e=youtu.be
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: New tune - what do you think?

Post by Peter Duggan »

Can't tell you when the video's 'private'!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Is it? Rats! Right. I'll fix that now.

Better?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Properly Mixolydian from the off, with my kind of repetitive patterns and (dare I suggest it?) maybe even hints of 'found harmonium'... yep, I like it!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Peter Duggan wrote:Properly Mixolydian from the off, with my kind of repetitive patterns and (dare I suggest it?) maybe even hints of 'found harmonium'... yep, I like it!
He hates MFAFH! :tomato: :D
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

OK, had a single, quick listen. Not my cuppa, Ben, sorry. Not one of your better tunes IMO. Simple enough (very by your standards, and I mean compositionally, not playing-technically), but rather monotonous, not very tuneful. I see what Peter means, but it lacks the quirky things which make MFAFH more interesting (if you don't hate it - I don't, BTW, but nor am I especially fond of it - it's good to practice bodhran to!).
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
cboody

Post by cboody »

A bit like Concertina Reel. In fact, more than a bit. That is not to say you copied the other tune, but rather that they are very similar. I agree that it is a bit repetitive and the A and B sections are probably a bit too similar. But, you clearly understand the style you are going after and this is a reasonable starting place. Keep doing it!
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

OK. Not an overwhelming hit, then! :wink: Hmmm ... shame. It's probably down to the artificial nature of the tune. I was writing to a distinct programme, and maybe my "better tunes" are a bit freer.

I've just had a listen to The Penguin Café Orchestra doing MFAFH. I'd forgotten how good it was when they did it. Quirky and humorous. And at a decent tempo!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z8hXv-g4fQ

(And yes, Jem, I can't stand the thing as it occurs in sessions, even when a decent musician like John plays it. :evil: )

Now, I don't hear either MFAFH or The Concertina Reel in that. But that's part of the point of asking, I guess - it's in the ear of the beholder.

Ach, I'm still going to play it tonight at me works do. They won't know it's rubbish. :lol:
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

The Millhall Reel, then? ;-)

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:The Millhall Reel, then? ;-)
Wrong works!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Ah. What, then?

FWIW I don't hear much similarity to The Concertina Reel in your new tune. I think the biggest drawback to it with a non-trad-informed audience is likely to be its simplicity and rather monotonous, not very melodic character. I can think of several similarly simple, strongly emphasised on one note trad tunes, but such things, even with a good interpretation, are an acquired taste which most folk not habituated to this type of music rarely have. I fear your audience will hear a fairly random set of fearsome twiddles on just a couple of notes. I don't hear it thus, but...........

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:Ah. What, then?

FWIW I don't hear much similarity to The Concertina Reel in your new tune. I think the biggest drawback to it with a non-trad-informed audience is likely to be its simplicity and rather monotonous, not very melodic character. I can think of several similarly simple, strongly emphasised on one note trad tunes, but such things, even with a good interpretation, are an acquired taste which most folk not habituated to this type of music rarely have. I fear your audience will hear a fairly random set of fearsome twiddles on just a couple of notes. I don't hear it thus, but...........
I agree with you. The funny thing is, now that I've lived with it a day or so, I can hear possibilities for variation and stuff that could really make it come alive ... but I agree that that might not work with an unaccustomed audience. :(

BTW, it goes rather nicely into Castle Kelly.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Now, I don't hear either MFAFH or The Concertina Reel in that.
Nor do I.

It seemed to me more of a fingering exercise constructed in tune format, but it definitely has an ear-grabbing quality one would want in a tune, so there's a darned good start for you. If you don't consider it necessarily set in stone yet, maybe consider plugging in some melodic expansion in the second arguments of a line, say. It probably doesn't need much to give it just a bit more dimensional flesh.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

So, deadline past, how was it received? (I think I may have heard a low rumble out of the south this-afternoon...... )

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Now, I don't hear either MFAFH or The Concertina Reel in that.
Nor do I.

It seemed to me more of a fingering exercise constructed in tune format, but it definitely has an ear-grabbing quality one would want in a tune, so there's a darned good start for you. If you don't consider it necessarily set in stone yet, maybe consider plugging in some melodic expansion in the second arguments of a line, say. It probably doesn't need much to give it just a bit more dimensional flesh.
Well, it's not set in stone. So yes, maybe it needs a bit more flesh in it. :)

@Jem: Deadline passed. They were struggling to get acclimatised to TIWW, so ... um ... it didn't get an airing. If I tell you that some of the questions I got included "What's the difference between a violin and a fiddle?" and "Can you play Rihanna/Mumford & Sons/some other stuff I'd never heard of?" you'll probably get the gist. It all went down very well, but I had to take it easy, and pepper it with renditions of some of their requests played on the fly, such as The Godfather and the them to Jurassic Park, both of which went down splendidly.