Celtic Round/Canons for three people

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
MadmanWithaWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Celtic Round/Canons for three people

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any good canons/rounds/chants that could be sung by three people? My band and I like to do songs as well as tunes, and I recently came across a few incredible songs that are sung in round by three people. I need more! Anything from the six Celtic nations (Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany) would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Cameron
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Celtic Round/Canons for three people

Post by Nanohedron »

Seven nations. Don't forget Galicia. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Seven nations. Don't forget Galicia. :)
I see that Wiki doesn't count Galicia, because no Celtic language has been spoken there into modern times, unlike all the others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_nations

Meanwhile, back (somewhat) on-topic, I don't know any Celtic rounds, but a favourite round which I used to sing with a band I was in nearly 40 years ago is the following Zen round, sing to the tune of Frere Jacques:

"Life is butter
Life is butter
Melancholy flower
Melancholy flower

Life is but a melon
Life is but a melon
Cauliflower
Cauliflower"

:)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Zen round
I'm unfamiliar with the concept.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
cboody

Post by cboody »

PM me and I'll send you a collection with some English ones in it. Words for some but not all. Your choice of pdf or abc files. None from the Celtic areas though I don't believe.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Zen round
I'm unfamiliar with the concept.
You're not ready. But one day, you will achieve enlightenment, at which stage you will come across them every now ananda zen.

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Have you ever heard the Zen saying, "When you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Have you ever heard the Zen saying, "When you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."?
Nope. Cain't say's I have. Is that there one o' they Golden Valley Zen sayin's?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

It's attributed to the master Linji (Rinzai). It's probably apocryphal, but I take it to heart. :twisted:
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:It's attributed to the master Linji (Rinzai). It's probably apocryphal, but I take it to heart. :twisted:
Oh yes. I've just looked it up. Who'd have thought?