Vallely Brothers With Allan Murray

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Cayden
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Vallely Brothers With Allan Murray

Post by Cayden »

Last Thursday September 5th, 2013, I had the distinct honor to attend a house concert performed by Niall Vallely (concertina), Cillian Vallely (uilleann pipes and low whistle), and Allan Murray (guitar and vocals).

Given the reputation of all three of these fine musicians both collectively and on their own, as well as their collaboration with other artists and bands, I an sure everyone in attendance had high expectations, those surely having been met by this gifted trio.

The evening was punctuated by reels, hornpipes, jigs, airs, and even what Niall seemed to view as an obligatory polka. Masterful musicianship was displayed by all three in lockstep precision when playing together and sharing of their souls during solo pieces. An added treat to the brilliant instrumentals was the vocal performances provided by Allan Murray. For my ear, there was present a tonal quality shared by Murray and the late, great, John Lennon as might be heard during his singing of ballads. Niall served as spokesman for the trio throughout the performance and he delivered descriptions of the musical compositions
played, with a tongue in cheek brand of humor that bespoke of a very modest persona shared by what might only be viewed as true genius within the genre of Irish Traditional Music. My humble opinion on the matter was clearly shared by many of the guests in attendance as I heard a number of them state, "it just does not get any better than that"!

For myself and some of the other guests that happen to play whistle, an added treat to an already perfect event, was the opportunity to chat with Cillian during the intermission between the first and second sets. Cillian was most gracious in answering our questions regarding many aspects of whistle and more specifically the low whistle.

I am quite certain that I could accurately state that all of us that were privileged with the opportunity to witness this incredible performance left the venue temporarily satiated with a magnificent "fix" for our addiction to great Trad, but clearly looking wantingly toward the next chance to attend a performance by these amazing artists. Should you get the chance
to see them perform, don't hesitate one moment. :thumbsup:

Cheers Mates,
Cayden
Last edited by Cayden on Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
ytliek
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Vallely Brothers With Alan Murray

Post by ytliek »

Yep, what he said. :thumbsup: