Approaching Traditional Music from A Classical Background

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Approaching Traditional Music from A Classical Background

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Hiya! A friend of mine recently wrote a really nifty blog post/opinion article about her experiences as a classical musician attempting to play Irish music for the first time. It resonated with a whole lot of people; so many, in fact, that it seemed like a good idea to repost it here.

It's a topic that's been much-discussed on this board in many bits and pieces, but I think Lisa did an exceptional job pulling all the elements of the discussion together. So if you're interested, here's the link!

http://musicattheconfluence.wordpress.c ... nal-spaces

All the best,

Cathy Wilde
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Re: Approaching Traditional Music from A Classical Background

Post by tommykleen »

Wow, so good, so quotable, so many analogies. :thumbsup:
bookmarked!
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Approaching Traditional Music from A Classical Background

Post by burnsbyrne »

Wonderful article! I learned these lessons when I transitioned from classical guitar to flamenco. Luckily I was in a space where I could learn and with mentors who were patient and tolerated my missteps. I very much agree with the need to immerse yourself in the music. I listened to nothing but flamenco for the first two years while the sounds and rhythms seeped into my unconscious. After a while I was able to play things I had never played before but had heard over and over again. Everyone should read this article. Thanks for posting it.
Mike