Private Parts

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Private Parts

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Thanks, Kenny! I noticed that when I looked at his site yesterday. It's really different in the first few parts - nice! And it's a lovely recording too; thanks for posting about it. It's on my shopping list ... :-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Re: Patrick Street's "Paudin O'Rafferty"

Post by Cathy Wilde »

kenny wrote:...has 5 parts, and is in "A" major.

http://thesession.org/tunes/8088
Aha! That's the first one I learned. I forgot it was in A; I think I moved it to G after I was infected with the Mulcahys one. And then came the Mick O'Brien setting, and then it was open-the-floodgates after that ... a veritable shower of Paidins!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

I've just signed up for classes in NPU because I needed to get back to playing regularly. In the first two weeks we've done three tunes, of which two were three-part versions of tunes that I knew as two-parters: Bean Tincéara and The Boy in the gap.

The third part of Bean Tincéara is a nice progression from the first two parts. It's the Willie version that's on Capeirish.com

The third part of The Boy in the Gap starts off a bit meh, but then ambushes you. I don't have notes for it, but it's a more interesting and pipes-friendly rendering of a version that's on concertina.net

I like both.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I'd suggest Bean Tincéara and The Boy in the Gap are pretty common as three part tunes, the first through Willie Clancy (I don't think I really ever heard a two part version, maybe the Felix Doran recording where he announces the tune and then commences to play Within a Mile of Dublin?) and Micho Russell practically had the latter as a signature tune with the Paddy Taylor composed third part tacked on.

But anyway: Welcome back Roger.
My brain hurts

NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Mr Gumby - the two part version is usually called Johnny Allen's. I don't know the extent of it, but I learned it from Patrick Ourceau, who calls it a Clare tune, and got it from Paddy Canny, I believe. O'Neill collected tunes from Johnny Allen himself, in Clare...
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Hm, yes I had a bit on Johnny Allen on the hard core thingie.

The Johnny Allen one in O Neill's is a completely different tune though.
My brain hurts

NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Yes, I checked and revised my message for that reason - nonetheless, several tunes were collected from him in Feakle. I don't think any of the ones in the O'Neill collections are the same one though.