DADGAD backup chord patterns and demonstrations

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

On 2003-01-28 12:04, eskin wrote:
Take a listen to what John Doyle does on Solas albums. He's using drop D generally is my understanding (DADGBE) and uses the damped D string to give the music that pulse, like a bodhran tuned to D.
I think there's something else going on in John Doyle's playing, Michael. I've heard that he substitutes a bass guitar D string for a guitar string on the 6th string. Cheaper than paying a bass player, I suppose.

Now, remember, you were the one who introduced the bouzouki to this thread. :smile: Yes, I know, back then it was on topic. We 'zoukis did get a bit unruly there for a while. :wink:

Now, Michael, what about that hint? Those of us who are into DADGAD have probably collectively said enough on this thread to explain to newbies why we do it. That information would look very nice on your site.

cheers,
John
SteveK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SteveK »

On 2003-01-28 20:53, theweirdscotsman wrote:
Sorry guys but another zoukplayer here- I've just mailed my check to Phil Crump ( http://www.pwcrumpco.com ) for my new zouk which should be here in a week or so.
Congratulations! You"ll love it. He makes great instruments. I would like to have one.

Steve
Gary

Post by Gary »

Back on topic...

I sometimes do fills in standard tuning using this as a basis for a major scale:

e-023
b-013
g-02
D-X
A-X
E-X

This example in is G. But, just barring the 3 strings at the 5th fret gives you a major scale in C, 7th fret D, etc. It makes playing in any key familiar territory. Can you post any scales & patterns for DADGAD?

Gary

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gary on 2003-01-29 12:27 ]</font>
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

On 2003-01-29 12:23, Gary wrote:
Back on topic...

I sometimes do fills in standard tuning using this as a basis for a major scale:

e-023
b-013
g-02
D-X
A-X
E-X

Gary, you can easily extend that pattern down through the bottom three strings giving you two octaves without having to move your hand. The scale finishes on E—3
Gary

Post by Gary »

On 2003-01-29 12:36, Wombat wrote:
Gary, you can easily extend that pattern down through the bottom three strings giving you two octaves without having to move your hand. The scale finishes on E—3
Yes, I know that and do that. I was just pointing out the basic scale concept for example. Presently, I do not have time to 'fret' over mapping out the DADGAD fretboard. I have a week to learn FIVE new songs and that's my priority at the moment.

My worship pastor (bless his heart) is a merciless task master! He gave me a CD, piano/melody charts and I have to work out my own guitar parts by Feb 8. :sad:

Oops, sorry! That was OT.

Gary
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A society wedding band is getting it together on the stand, waiting for the crowd to come in.

The leader is taking the time to exercise his authority.

"I'm sick of you guys showing up at the last minute. When I say eight o'clock, I want the music to start at eight. I don't want you walking into the room at eight!"

The drummer gives him a "rim shot".

"And I also expect you morons to dress like you want to be here. Tuxedo means tuxedo, not the upper half of an old black suit with a bow tie."

The drummer gives him a "rim shot".

"... and shoes; Not black sneakers!"

"rim shot"

"... and a clean shirt and a shave. I don't want any bums on my band!"

"rim shot, crash".

"And if I find out who's making that noise, he's fired!"
eskin

Post by eskin »

Hi y'all,

I've added some more useful DADGAD chord shapes and moveable forms to the chart, clarified a few things.

Please download it from:

http://members.cox.net/eskin/DADGAD.html

Also, I've started adding suggestions and techniques that visitors have sent in. Please feel free to email any tricks/techniques you'd like to share.

Cheers,

Michael Eskin
http://www.michaeleskin.com
eskin@cox.net
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I notice you link to Chris Smith's book Celtic Backup, Michael. In addition to that book Chris has a web page with several instructional articles. Although none are specific to DADGAD some concern backup.

http://www.geocities.com/coyotebanjo/instruction/

Steve