Bodhran drum machine for keeping beat for ITM practice?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
MatthewVanitas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Bodhran drum machine for keeping beat for ITM practice?

Post by MatthewVanitas »

I've taken to using the Amazing Slower Downer to listen to ITM recordings and play along with the track, and when I play just by myself I've tried using a metronome on my smartphone to practice with. However, a metronome just provide a beat, not a specific beat, so it takes more effort to make sure I'm keeping the proper jig time, reel time, etc.

Per a google search I know this question has come up in past years (with accompanying jokes) but in all seriousness is there any good "bodhran drum machine" application, or failing that a drum machine program I could buy (ideally a phone app) that can be set for to play the right rhythmic patterns for Irish music?
megapop

Re: Bodhran drum machine for keeping beat for ITM practice?

Post by megapop »

I use Hydrogen, which is free.
http://www.hydrogen-music.org/hcms/

It's pretty mighty yet easy to use... and there are lots of community drumkits (sound sets). I've been looking for a bodhran drumkit, or ideally even ready rhythmic patterns (I don't have a clue what those bodhranists are actually doing) - but in vain so far, unfortunately. There's however a nice acoustic drumkit available, with some bongobongo and the like.
return null;
Squeeky Elf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Squeeky Elf »

Do a search for Mark Stone Bodhran. It is an instructional CD but he plays a lot of basic beats and I find it fun to play along too. You could use your software to adjust the speed to your liking I suppose. It's not hard to find. It's on Amazon, Spotify, and iTunes.
“Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.”
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

The Jules Bitter "Irish Beat Conductor" is kind of fun, too. It's got some pretty groovy rhythms.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/julesbitter5
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Try the bodhran expert videos. the provide a variety of beats at a variety of speeds.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.