Your favourite hornpipes?!

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Sirchronique
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Re: Your favourite hornpipes?!

Post by Sirchronique »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
I did not know that
The Stack of Rye is one of two tunes composed to complement the stack of Barley and the Stack of Wheat that were recorded by Michael Coleman. The last stack of the foursome is The Stack of Oats.

Her golden hair.. , mentioned above, flows from the same source.
Ah, yes, I did know the Golden Castle hornpipe was composed by him! I read it quite some time ago on one of the comments on the tune, on thesession.org. I had forgotten! I will definitely look into some more of his compositions, thanks!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I suppose this sort of thread is a recurring feature of forums like this. While I can see the point, to a degree, of hearing what other people play, the result is more often than not a litany of the overplayed and obvious.
And while I think one should at some point be able to play the Boys of Bluehill, the Harvest Home, Off to California and the Rights of Man and all that sort of stuff, there's really not a good reason to confine yourself to the blatantly obvious. Your best way in is always to listen to a lot of good music but your most enjoyable way of learning is picking the tunes you immediately take a liking to and learn those. Find your own way, no need to stick to the beaten path.
My brain hurts

DaveAuty
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

Mr Gumby wrote;
I suppose this sort of thread is a recurring feature of forums like this. While I can see the point, to a degree, of hearing what other people play, the result is more often than not a litany of the overplayed and obvious.
Yes Mr Gumby but it's always a good opportunity for you to give to 'lesser mortals' the benefit of your wide ranging knowledge of traditional music.

For my part I enjoy the pioneer bands of modern Irish Trad Music; A medley of tunes and songs by 'De Danann' one being the 'Plains of Boyle' (5min 57 seconds into the clip) a very whistle friendly hornpipe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbGEYLOa ... re=related

Dave.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Yes Mr Gumby but it's always a good opportunity for you to give to 'lesser mortals' the benefit of your wide ranging knowledge of traditional music.
Do you have a problem with anything I said Dave? You may as well get it out in the open. Potshots are a bit cheap don't you think?
My brain hurts

DaveAuty
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

No I don't have a problem, it's only a message board! You just sound (to me) a bit superior at times. So if there is a problem it's probably mine. That said, me being mostly a lurker, I think your contribution overall to the forum is very informative.

Dave.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I suppose this sort of thread is a recurring feature of forums like this. While I can see the point, to a degree, of hearing what other people play, the result is more often than not a litany of the overplayed and obvious.
And while I think one should at some point be able to play the Boys of Bluehill, the Harvest Home, Off to California and the Rights of Man and all that sort of stuff, there's really not a good reason to confine yourself to the blatantly obvious. Your best way in is always to listen to a lot of good music but your most enjoyable way of learning is picking the tunes you immediately take a liking to and learn those. Find your own way, no need to stick to the beaten path.
I posted a response to this, but I'll just write back later, as I'd rather not get the thread of it's purpose further.

The bottom line is, the thread is serving it's purpose to me, and this type of thing is not my sole means of discovering new tunes, nor is the question responsible for a few of the answers given that might not be completely fitting to the purpose, which is *not* to bring up the blatantly obvious.

I do listen to a lot of irish music, and this is one of many methods of bringing up tunes that I have not heard as of yet. Of the tunes recommended, I learn the ones I prefer of them.

A person who has been involved in this sort of music longer than I do (or even some of those who haven't), are going to have exposure to more, and different, tunes than I have come across as of yet. So the thread does bring up things that are new to me. And certainly for a person to favour a tune, there is something that likely sets it apart from other tunes in order to warrant that opinion, at least to the person listing it.

I've been learning a lot of new tunes lately, and putting a lot of effort into doing so. This thread is one of many ways of expanding the tunes I am familiar with, and increasing the amount of tunes I am wanting to put my time into learning, and having in my repertoire.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

No need to justify it all. The only thing I was trying to get across was that you shouldn't limit yourself to the obvious and wellknown. Or the tunes some people would consider 'beginners tunes' for whatever reason. Learn anything you fancy and take it from where ever you find it. There are too many good tunes to confine yourself to the beaten path. That was it, nothing more, nothing less. If that's too superior, that really is not a problem that lies with me.
My brain hurts

Sirchronique

Post by Sirchronique »

Mr.Gumby wrote:No need to justify it all. The only thing I was trying to get across was that you shouldn't limit yourself to the obvious and wellknown. Or the tunes some people would consider 'beginners tunes' for whatever reason. Learn anything you fancy and take it from where ever you find it. There are too many good tunes to confine yourself to the beaten path. That was it, nothing more, nothing less. If that's too superior, that really is not a problem that lies with me.

I wasn't the one who said that.

The reason I am saying all those things, is because I am not sure what your point is, about what is wrong with the thread. I don't understand how this thread indicates that I am limiting myself to the obvious and well-know. Again, it's not my sole means of learning about new tunes, and also, I wasn't asking for obvious or well known, I was asking what people's favourite hornpipes are.

The problem is, I don't know where your remark is even coming from, or how it even applies to me, or the thread. I don't get it.

I don't take into account whether a tune is well known, or not well-known. I simply try to hear as many tunes as possible, and learn the ones I like. I have really not listened to so many hornpipes in comparison to other tunes. This is far from being my sole means of learning about tunes, but it might turn up things I have not yet come across.

The thread isn't about suggesting well known tunes. But, if somebody suggest a well-known tune, and I like it, I'll learn it. If they recommend a less-known tune, and I like it, I'll learn it. If they suggest either, and I don't like it, well, I probably won't put it on my top-priority to learn immediately, for now.

This is a thread for people to talk about thier favourite hornpipes, and also will be of use because it might put out some that I am unaware of, that I might not have come across for some time, and that I enjoy and want to learn. I don't know how this indicates anything about well-known tunes, or otherwise. If people suggest a well known tune that I like and haven't heard of, great! If they suggest one that is less known, even better. But the point of the thread really has nothing to do with how well known the tunes are, nor do I try to stick to the well-known "path". I learn what I like.

Again, I didn't ask what people play the most. I ask what hornpipes are thier favourite. As in, what tunes they love the sound of the most, or enjoy playing the most. Nothing about obvious tunes, or tunes people play the most frequently, or are popular was ever mentioned, as I am not even taking that factor into consideration right now.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I wasn't the one who said that.
I know.
I wasn't asking for obvious or well known, I was asking what people's favourite hornpipes are.
The reality of threads like this is however that you do get just that that, or as I put it above:
the result is more often than not a litany of the overplayed and obvious
You may as well lift the listing of most popular hornpipes on thesession.org

I understand your point, and that too I acknowledged above when I said:
While I can see the point, to a degree, of hearing what other people play
but, in my opnion, it only goes so far when it comes to acquiring good tunes.

My point, again, was, don't worry too much what everybody else plays, take what you like and play that.. In other words, there's a world of music out there, if you open your ears to it.

That was and is all. Just a thought, an innocent sort of an observation. There was no intention to spend multiple posts going on about it.
My brain hurts