What are your favourite slip jigs?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Jäger
antispam: No

Re: What are your favourite slip jigs?

Post by Jäger »

NicoMoreno wrote:Without the third, how is it a minor chord?
That's what I was getting at all along, good sir! :wink:
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
Anomylous

Post by Anomylous »

Thread necromancy, I know. But I found one that should go here. It's called "Another Jig Will Do", and it's in O'Neill's. Has a neat back-and-forth between Cnat and C# in the B section.
bigsciota
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by bigsciota »

Anomylous wrote:Thread necromancy, I know. But I found one that should go here. It's called "Another Jig Will Do", and it's in O'Neill's. Has a neat back-and-forth between Cnat and C# in the B section.
John Doonan has a great version of this, one of my favorite slip jigs. I'll second (or third or fourth or whatever) An Phis Fliuch, as well as Fig for a Kiss, Hardiman the Fiddler, and the Swaggerin' Jig.

I love slip jigs, and try to learn a lot of them, mainly because I feel like if I don't start a set no one will. Why are they so neglected at sessions (at least the ones I go to)?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

bogman wrote:There are some really great Scottish slip jigs
Donald, Willie and his Dog

The Grinder

Angus John MacNeil of Barra
Yes these three are favourites of mine! I first head Donald Willie and his Dog back in the late 1970s and I thought it was the coolest tune ever, and I've been playing it ever since.

Terry Ho The Grinder is often played as a 9/8 march, and that category has quite a few great tunes, any of which can also be played as slip jigs, such as

Heights of Dargai
Brose and Butter
Battle of the Somme
Bonnie Highland Mary
I Have a Wife of my Own
Banks of the Lossie

As far as Irish slip jigs go, my favourite set is

O Farrell's Welcome to Limerick > Elizabeth Kelly's Delight
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
stanton135
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

The Boys of Ballisodare and Open the Door for Three haven't been mentioned yet (I think). I'll also put in another vote for The Arra (or Arragh) Mountains.
thaneydesign

Post by thaneydesign »

A Fig For A Kiss
The Disused Railway
Chloe's Passion
The Countess Cathleen
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

The Snowy Path
off of Altan.

Baby Rory?
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
john

Post by john »

how do you tell a slip jig from a hop jig?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

john wrote:how do you tell a slip jig from a hop jig?
I think it's easiest to just think of some obvious examples:

See The Kid on the Mountain? That's a slip jig.
See The Butterfly? That's a hop jig.

It's reasonably clear, I think, that those two have quite different rhythms.

Mind you, the terms do seem to have been fluid over time and in different places, so it's not totally black and white ...
Ben Steen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Mind you your slips & slides

Post by Ben Steen »

So what is My Mind Will Never be Aisy, Mr. Hall?
; )

Speaking of fluid.
Ben Steen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Ben Steen »

Sorry, didn't answer the OP's ?
~
Garech's Wedding Slip Jig

If Spotify works for you it's track 7, 1st tune on The Road Less Travelled by Danú > > https://play.spotify.com/album/2lzC9iOG6mkX2BWFRfD28V
MTGuru

Re: Mind you your slips & slides

Post by MTGuru »

Ben Steen wrote:So what is My Mind Will Never be Aisy
It's a slip jig. As usually played.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Mind you, the terms do seem to have been fluid over time and in different places, so it's not totally black and white ...
True that. In my neck of the ITM woods, those who strongly differentiate slip and hop jigs think of hop jigs as being really better thought of as in 3/2 meter, including tunes such as The Dusty Miller or Rocky Road to Dublin. Yes, I know they're frequently transcribed in 9/8, and personally I don't get that. Those tunes are closer to a mazurka than a slip jig, if you think about it. And also remember that it's a characteristic of these tunes that they are typically played singly - that is, without repeats. They tend to repeat within themselves, anyway.

For me, The Butterfly could never be a hop jig. It fits solidly in 9/8, but its structure strikes me very much as slide-ish. I give it a category of its own and call it a slip-slide. :wink:

Remember further that context counts: a hop jig to a dancer is melodically a single jig to me, and if I play for dancers, it behooves me to remember that. But when the dancers are safely tucked away, my fellow musicians and I are now free to have "hop jig" mean something melodically altogether different, again The Dusty Miller, etc. :boggle:

And then again, come to think of it, I know one or two people who would never fail to remind me that a 3/2 tune would be considered a species of hornpipe in certain English contexts! :boggle: :boggle:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Thing is ... Slip/Hop is as much an approach to playing a 9/8 tune as something inherent in the tune itself. So arguing whether a particular tune is one or the other is somewhat moot. It depends on how you count, place accents and add/drop notes.

Listen to Julie Fowlis and Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh playing "Rocky Road" (An Bairille). It's clearly a 9/8 slip jig here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raOhfgsft8I‎

And this harp setting of The Butterfly sounds strongly 3/2 hoppy to me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX1OBhSzVLI

I think Nico and I had a go at this issue here a few years ago.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:Listen to Julie Fowlis and Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh playing "Rocky Road" (An Bairille). It's clearly a 9/8 slip jig here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raOhfgsft8I‎
Not to me with the first song (Tha 'm buntàta mòr, something about a big potato), MTG. To me that's really more a 3/2, just not as drive-y as what I think of as hop jigs. But on that we'll just have to agree to disagree. The second song is of course definitely 9/8. :)

A damn wonderfully fine set in any case, isn't it. :thumbsup:

I do catch what you're saying about the harp piece. As you say, how you play it will make all the difference.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician