What are your favourite slip jigs?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: What are your favourite slip jigs?

Post by MTGuru »

Nanohedron wrote:Not to me with the first song (Tha 'm buntàta mòr, something about a big potato), MTG. To me that's really more a 3/2, just not as drive-y as what I think of as hop jigs. But on that we'll just have to agree to disagree.
No, no disagreement. I said nothing about the first song. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Not to me with the first song (Tha 'm buntàta mòr, something about a big potato), MTG. To me that's really more a 3/2, just not as drive-y as what I think of as hop jigs. But on that we'll just have to agree to disagree.
No, no disagreement. I said nothing about the first song. :wink:
Uh-oh. Waiter? More coffee, please.

By the way, after a search on hop jigs I now realise that I must clarify what I meant by The Dusty Miller, as there is indeed a previously unknown to me bonafide 9/8 slip jig of the same name, not to mention an Old Time reel as well. This is the tune I meant, courtesy of The Chieftains:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JE8zktqo6g

This one gets played occasionally at our sessions, but such tunes aren't usually represented; there's one fellow I know who made a bit of a project of hop jigs (as I too am calling them here) and who surely has more than a handful in his repertory; and as regards that designation in our locale, Paddy O'Brien (the prehumous, of County Offaly) has been of no small influence either, for the 3/2 format is what he calls "hop jig". Not that he's necessarily the final word on it, but we tend to follow his lead in such matters very comfortably. :)

Unfortunately, the entries out there for "hop jig" seem to be pretty much only about dance steps when they're not about slip jigs. I wish I could find more audio examples of what it is I'm referring to, but no such luck. At least in terms of meter and phrasing, another such example could arguably be The Eagle's Whistle, perhaps.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
cboody

Post by cboody »

Anomylous wrote:Thread necromancy, I know. But I found one that should go here. It's called "Another Jig Will Do", and it's in O'Neill's. Has a neat back-and-forth between Cnat and C# in the B section.
That reminds me. I pair that with Barney Brallaghan, a slip jig I enjoy.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

MTGuru wrote:
Anomylous wrote:You can liven up the Butterfly by playing it against a repeating pattern of Em, D, C, D, in power chords (no 3rds).
Or, perhaps, liven it up even more by playing it against a repeating pattern of no chords at all. :wink:
I was in a group that played this as a three part round, each part coming in after two measures with no repeats of the sections. It sounds pretty cool.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

A couple more that haven't been mentioned:

Ladies Step Up to the Tea
Minor Slip
Anomylous

Post by Anomylous »

NicoMoreno wrote:Without the third, how is it a minor chord? Emaj without the third is identical to Em without the third....
You're right, of course. It is actually just an open fifth (E and B), with some other notes (the melody) set against it that happen to include G natural, which makes it sound minor. Which is probably why I reflexively listed it as Em, even though it's not.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I'm in love with Lough Key these days. Am just getting the band to learn it in G. We still can't figure out which is the A part and which is the B part (I've heard it both ways), but it's a dandy pipe tune. Here's how we're playing it at present:

X: 1
T: Lough Key
M: 9/8
L: 1/8
R: slip jig
K:Gmaj
|:~G3 BGd c2e|~G3 BdB cAF|~G3 DBB DGF|1 E2G AGF G2D:|2 E2G AGF GAB||
|:AGE EDB, DEG|dBA ABd edg|dBA AGE EDB,|DB,A, A,B,D E2B:|

It's on the outstanding "Forgotten Gems" recording by Peter Carberry and Padraig McGovern.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Lough Key is a nice one. Heard it on the radio a while ago while driving and thought I should learn that one. Have the CD out from the library at the moment so it's on the list.

Last May I had to play the 'Grand Piping Concert' at the Tionol in Listowel. I decided I wanted to play the Slip jig I mentioned above 'Ah Faith then I will, said the Fiddler' I needed something to go with it and I ended up learning 'The Turnpike Way' . That works.
My brain hurts

Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Nice! Those are on *my* list :-)

I'm sandwiching Lough Key between An Phis Fhliuch and Hardiman the Fiddler. We affectionately call it "The Whiplash Set" :-)

A friend just introduced me to one I've never heard she calls "Cocks and Hens." It works nicely with "The Humours of Whiskey," though the two together are a bit of a brain-twister. Wondering if the former is an Irish tune; it has a bit of a "somewhere-else" sound to it. WORMHOLE HAZARD WARNING: I'm thinking that's probably not the right name, though -- there are a bunch of tunes with that name and so far I haven't found a match.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Cathy Wilde wrote:A friend just introduced me to one I've never heard she calls "Cocks and Hens." It works nicely with "The Humours of Whiskey," though the two together are a bit of a brain-twister. Wondering if the former is an Irish tune; it has a bit of a "somewhere-else" sound to it.
It was "popularized" a few years ago by Lúnasa on their Otherworld album, Track 3, under the title Cathal McConnell's.

http://thesession.org/tunes/93

Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Alas, it's not that one. It's a three-parter, and they're pretty different parts. If I can get it into my head I'll write it down and post it, but it's not as readily accessible to my ear as some.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Hang on, someone posted a setting in the "Comments" section that rings a bell. I'll listen and read and let you know!
X: 4
T: The Cock And The Hen
R: slip jig
M: 9/8
L: 1/8
K: Bmin
c |: BBB fdB FBd | BBB fdB cBA | BBB fdB FBd |[1 agf efd cBA :|[2 agf efd efg ||
|: afd dfg bge | afd ddd ecA | afd dfg bge |[1 fgf efd cBA :|[2 fgf efd cBA ||
|: d2e fdd edd | fdd gdd afe | d/e/de fdd edd |[1 agf efd cBA :|[2 agf efd cBA |]

# Added by ceolachan 6 years ago.
As I read it I can "hear" some underlying similarities with Cathal McConnell's ... wonder if they're related, albeit quite distantly?
Thanks, MTG!
Last edited by Cathy Wilde on Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Alas, it's not that one. It's a three-parter, and they're pretty different parts. If I can get it into my head I'll write it down and post it, but it's not as readily accessible to my ear as some.
Cathy - are you sure it's not the three-parter that ceolachan posted on the tune thread in the session.org linked to by MTGuru? Scroll through the versions til you come to the three-parter. I have a feeling that might be it (even though I'm not a mind-reader :wink: ).

Ah. I think I'm in the process of cross-posting ...
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Of course you're a mind-reader! :party:

Thanks, guys. Very interesting to play the two in my head and wonder if there's a link. It's probably a chicken-and-egg question ... or maybe a Cock-and-Hen question? ;-)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Thanks, guys. Very interesting to play the two in my head and wonder if there's a link. It's probably a chicken-and-egg question ... or maybe a Cock-and-Hen question? ;-)
The first two parts of your three-parter do strike my ear as a discernible variation of the more common setting. And interestingly, the third part is basically the last part of Humours of Whiskey, which you pair it with. I'd guess that it's a case of tune accretion (or whatever the proper genetics metaphor would be for DNA swapping*), but I certainly don't know for sure.

* Added: Wiki says Horizontal gene transfer is probably the trope. So then, how about we call it Horizontal tune transfer? :-)