What are your favourite slip jigs?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Sirchronique
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Re: What are your favourite slip jigs?

Post by Sirchronique »

MeMyselfandI wrote:Oh goody! The Kid on the Mountain is here more than thrice! I love that tune. It sounds really nice on the viola by the way.

Anyway, The Kid on the Mountain and Farewell to Whalley Range are my favorites so far. McGoldrick and McSherry do a cool version of Farewell to Whalley Range in their album At First Light. I believe it's the second tune in a great set with Lady Lane/Farewell to Whalley Range/[some slide that I can't recall the name of right now].

As it turns out (took a bit of searching a couple months ago) Cathal McConnell's is one of those tunes that absolutely no-one can agree on the name. The most popular names so far are Ryan's, The Cock and the Hen (that's what I know it by), and, of course, Cathal McConnell's. TinWhistler on youtube does a decent rendition of that tune (I believe he calls it Ryan's). Mairead Nesbitt (from Celtic Woman) also does a very good version of it, paired with (apparently) the Atlantic Slope, which I have found nothing on so far, but I haven't searched about for that one much. I don't remember Lunasa doing it... It must have had to have been on their "Lunasa" album as that's the only one, other than Otherworld, that has McGoldrick in it as far as I know.

Cathal McConnell's is on the otherworld album. Played after "Sliabh Russell" . What does McGoldrick not being in the band anymore have to do with them playing this tune?

And yes, farewell to whalley range was written by McGoldrick. That's another one of the few I know.

.. and Chloe's Passion is one of the others I know :p . Now I'm being reminded of slip jigs that I forgot I knew !

Back to the first tune I just mentioned, I think Cock and the Hen is probably one of the older names for that tune.. only a guess though. If you do some reading you can see where the name came about. Filthy tune. :lol:

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I look forward to hearing about more slip jigs. I'm very glad I posted this thread, as it's been very useful to me so far!
MeMyselfandI

Post by MeMyselfandI »

Sirchronique wrote:Cathal McConnell's is on the otherworld album. Played after "Sliabh Russell" . What does McGoldrick not being in the band anymore have to do with them playing this tune?
Ah, yes, I had forgotten about that set. And I had it in my mind that Cathal McConnell's was a McGoldrick tune, but maybe not... I guess I just thought that because I heard it in a set with Farewell to Whalley Range. :o
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

I remembered another slip jig I heard on a harp album that I liked alot, and I forgot about it until now. It is called "The Humours of Whiskey" . I figured I'd mention it here, for anyone else who might, like me, also be seeking some good slip jigs!
Fifthtry
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fifthtry »

Maki's link to thesession list of 41 slip jigs is great. Here's one I enjoy: Promenade, which Kevin Burke and Micheal O'Domhnaill did on their CD of that name: http://youtu.be/J7XzqjndH-Q

John
Ian Parfitt

Post by Ian Parfitt »

fox hunters and I think Butterfly is a slip jig - fiddler but think these adapt to whistles, must look up Kid on the mountain! Norma, whistle widow of Ian Parfitt :lol:
Sirchronique

Post by Sirchronique »

Ian Parfitt wrote:fox hunters and I think Butterfly is a slip jig - fiddler but think these adapt to whistles, must look up Kid on the mountain! Norma, whistle widow of Ian Parfitt :lol:
I'm interested in any slip jigs, even if the tune can't be played on whistles. I also have a mandolin and octave mandola, so any tune would be within my range.

I was busy looking into the tunes mentioned here, and I forgot to look at that list on thesession. I will give that a look now!

Thanks again
ubizmo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ubizmo »

Ian Parfitt wrote:fox hunters and I think Butterfly is a slip jig - fiddler but think these adapt to whistles, must look up Kid on the mountain! Norma, whistle widow of Ian Parfitt :lol:
These two and Ryan's make a good set.
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

Promenade is a hop jig, not a slip jig. Totally different rhythmic feel.
Hop jigs rule.
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

bensdad wrote:Promenade is a hop jig, not a slip jig. Totally different rhythmic feel.
Hop jigs rule.
There are a few others in this thread that might also be said to be hop jigs. The Foxhunter's can be played as such, and I'd say that Fig for a Kiss feels quite hoppy (not in the beer-sense) too. They do tend to get lumped together as they're both 9/8-tunes.
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
Sirchronique

Post by Sirchronique »

I just found a really cool slip jig called "Seo Libh, a Mhná, chun Tae" . That's my plan for tonight!
christelrice

Post by christelrice »

The Monaghan Jig, a four part tune that sits really nice on the flute....i will post up the tune in my blog once i get it recorded. Yes, it is just a jig. If you are looking for a slip jig, try Down in Abbey from Sean Moloney.
Last edited by christelrice on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Monaghan Jig is not a slip jig....

A Fig For a Kiss isn't really a hop jig. My litmus test is "Does this feel the same as the Dusty Miller?" (the one that goes A2AA2G) That generally works out for me. A Fig for a Kiss is a great slip jig, and it is a little sparser, note-wise, but I don't feel it works as a hop jig (there are definitely ones that do, like the Foxhunter's, provided you leave off the last part, and even the tired Butterly - but then that one was originally quite a bit hoppier than it gets played these days).

I find I really like song jigs, like the Fair-Haired Canavans and Patrick's little Wife.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There's always the contrary ones that leave you wondering how to label them (I have given up a bit on the labeling). I mean ones like the Silver Slipper, Frieze Breeches (the one JOBM recorded, not the usual jig) etc.
My brain hurts

NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Indeed, although I think of the Silver Slipper as a.... hmmm, actually I'm not sure! :lol: I guess I do think it is a hop jig, but it does have a slightly different feel than the Dusty Miller. But it also works. I read once that it was a Donegal Slip Jig... so I'll go with that!

Is that Frieze Britches the same one Tommy Reck recorded with Top it Off? If so, it's a single jig verging on fling (same as Follow me up to Carlow). I'm not seeing it on Sean Reid's Favorite, so I may not have the recording. Incidentally, Top it Off and JOBM's An Briste Breidin feel better to me with an extra beat. Don't tell Jimmy ;)
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

post deleted.
Last edited by An Draighean on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.