Jer Quigley's Reel...which key?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Jer Quigley's Reel...which key?

Post by Jayhawk »

I’ve been listening to the Kelly brother’s Four Mile House CD obsessively today, and decided I really need to learn Jer Quiqley’s reel… http://thesession.org/tunes/2033

It’s listed in G on the Session, but those Cnat’s hit a bad note to my ear in the B part. Anyone else play this tune in G or should it really be in D?

Eric
Azalin

Re: Jer Quigley's Reel...which key?

Post by Azalin »

Why are you saying the tune is listed in G? In the link you posted, the tune is listed in Em. That's the key I know the tune in. Well, if it's the same tune we're talking about.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

( Hi Azalin, long time no see. :-) )

Yes, it's better notated as E Dorian with 2 sharps, though the C# occurs only a few times*. And if you follow the typical Dorian i - bVII (Em - DMaj) harmonic structure as notated, you probably want C# as your leading tone in D Major.

* Not counting those rising "octave break" Bcd triplets", which I'd usually play as B^cd regardless of the key.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Azalin wrote:Why are you saying the tune is listed in G? In the link you posted, the tune is listed in Em. That's the key I know the tune in. Well, if it's the same tune we're talking about.
Most likely because I printed off the sheet music, played it through about 5 times and simply saw the one sharp...I didn't even pay attention to the chords.

In short...I screwed up. :o
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Thanks MT Guru...that helps.

Eric
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

MTGuru wrote:( Hi Azalin, long time no see. :-) )
Hello Guru! :-) Yep life a bit crazy but last night I took the time to browse the forums. Many memories here! I'm mostly playing concertina so I was hanging around C.net a little more but not going much to forums anymore. I'll try to lurk here a little more! Hope things are going well in San Diego ;-)
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Jayhawk wrote:
Azalin wrote:Why are you saying the tune is listed in G? In the link you posted, the tune is listed in Em. That's the key I know the tune in. Well, if it's the same tune we're talking about.
Most likely because I printed off the sheet music, played it through about 5 times and simply saw the one sharp...I didn't even pay attention to the chords.

In short...I screwed up. :o
Can't you learn from the recording directly? You can learn by ear right? So many transcriptions on the Session are wrong, I avoid learning anything from there as much as I can. There's almost always a way to find a good clip of a tune.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Hi Az,

I can, and usually do, learn by ear. When I'm not feeling patient, I'll print off the dots and combine that with what I'm hearing by ear (there are several bits in the A part that I'm playing differently than the dots). However, the key was important because my wife plays guitar, is new to playing Irish trad, so she can't pick it up completely by ear yet. I'm hoping to get our band to play this tune, we're between gigs, so it's a great time to stick a few new tunes into one of our sets.

I'm not a chord/key kind of guy...my brain only works in melody mode...so I always end up printing off music for my wife and using my ABC converter to add chords (which she usually ends up having to correct after she's played the tune a few times).

Eric
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Is that not a brilliant CD? And oh, thank you so much for the reminder -- I'd forgotten about this tune entirely, and I love it. I think Lesl Harker got me hooked on it, IIRC. ANYWAY, I have this tune as "Moving in Decency" (or "Moving Indecently" as some like to call it). "Moving in Decency" is definitely in EDorian.

Here's a lovely setting from the playing of Jim Conroy that's a little different from the recording, but might shed more light on why C-sharp is so much the nicer note ... you could throw in a C natural but I like the "slightly off-ness" of the C-sharp since it's mostly in passing. Finally, as far as your ear goes, doublecheck to make sure they're not playing up a half-step -- I don't have a way to check for sure here, but that kinda sounds like an Eb flute to me. That could be a source of transcription conniption :-)

X: 1
T:Moving In Decency
T:Ag Bogadh Linn go Measu/il
B:Breathnach, Ceol Rince na hE/ireann II, no. 252
S:Jim Conroy, flute, Clonco, Graigue, County Galway, VII, 1969
Z:Paul de Grae <sullgrae:IOL.IE> irtrad-l 2001-10-5
R:Reel
M:4/4
L:1/8
K:Edor
FA \
| Beed B2 ed | Beed BcAG | FADA FADF | AFDF A2 FA \
| Be (3ede B2 ed | Beed BcAF | G{A}G{F}GA BGdB |1 AGFG E2 :|2 AGFG E3 z ||
|: e3 f edBA | (3Bcd ef g2 fe | d3 e dAFA | dcde f2 {gf}ed \
| e{a}e{d}ef edBA | Bdef gedB | G{A}G{F}GA BGdB | AGFG E3 z :|

Again, thanks for reminding me about a wonderful tune!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

This reel has been played at my local sessions for almost as long as I can remember, but I never did know what it was called. Thanks. :)

"Moving Indecently" - fer sure. :twisted:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Leave it to Cat to take a perfrectly fine reel and introduce "indecency" into it's title. :lol:

I do love this tune, and it pairs well with Mama's Pet...good stuff.

Eric