Irish? Scottish? Let's just call it "Scirish"

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
bogman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Irish? Scottish? Let's just call it "Scirish"

Post by bogman »

highland-piper, what I disagreed with was this - "but I do know that about half the modern Scottish repertoire comes from the late 1700's / early 1800/s, and about half is after that, with quite a bit being fairly recent compositions" - that is certainly not the case.
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

.......also, "Scottish repertoire" is a complete red herring. You don't say which part of Scotland you're from but if you're from Speyside and eastwards your statement may have some merit but certainly not in the rest of Scotland. There is a huge difference in repertoire between Speyside, the western islands, Shetland and Orkney, south west Scotland, south east Scotland. There really isn't such a thing as the Scottish repertoire.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

bogman wrote:.......also, "Scottish repertoire" is a complete red herring.
I'm looking at what gets recorded and/or sold.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

"I'm looking at what gets recorded and/or sold".

I'm curious as to how you know "what gets sold". What was the top-selling Scottish traditional CD last month, and how many did it sell ? I'd love to know.

And what gets "recorded and/sold" is only an infinitessimal amount of the music that is actually played.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
McElmurry
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by McElmurry »

tommykleen wrote: So, my question to you is: is this inclusion of Scottish stuff pretty much the norm at North American "Irish" festivals? Is it the norm at all such festivals around the world?
Or am I just being an Éir-ian snob?
tommykleen
Each festival achieves critical mass with some combination of attractions. One festival in my neck of the woods that does well without too much “Scottish stuff” is the KVMR music festival. It is branded as a Celtic music festival and includes both paid musicians and amateur sessions. There is no pipeband competition and no Scottish clan tents. A local group of heavy athletes compete against each other and they have a few small cabers for folks to try. A handful of renaissance guilds are present and a select list of vendors. The ticket price is pretty high and folks are there mostly for the music. A lot of tunes and some songs during the day with the rock bands hitting the main stage at night. I think a bit under 10,000 folks attended this year.

Don’t get me wrong I have nothing against “Scottish stuff” and wore my Morrison red kilt amongst a sea of utilikilts. At first I was missing the GHB pipers but then I realized you can't have groups of 2 to 5 traditional instruments playing with a couple hundred GHB pipers marching around and warming up. Scots or Scots influenced groups were in attendance including Paul McKenna Band but the ITM influence was definitely more pervasive. I wouldn’t say the event was overtly Irish but it was definitely centered on music with a strong Irish influence.

Here is a link to the lineup from this year. I don’t see why this formula wouldn’t work in other parts of the USA.

http://www.kvmr.org/celticfestival/

Here is a link to the sessions page.

http://www.kvmr.org/celticfestival/sessions.html
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

McElmurry wrote:Here is a link to the sessions page.

http://www.kvmr.org/celticfestival/sessions.html
I like the pizza box bodhrán class. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.