Help finding good sessions in Dublin

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Ketil
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Help finding good sessions in Dublin

Post by Ketil »

Hi. I posted a few months back asking for advice finding good, traditional sessions ( not the touristy stuff) in Dublin city. I am going over together with friends early February. We are attending the Transatlantic Sessions concert at National Concert Hall on Monday 6.2 and hope to find a couple of nice sessions to listen to (not participate) on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Any tips?

Also, where to go window shopping (and maybe buying) musical instruments and flutes?

Thanks for any info!
Ketil, Norway
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Help finding good sessions in Dublin

Post by plunk111 »

I went to O'Donoghue's a couple of times last March - seemed pretty authentic even though there were a few "tourists" in attendance (myself included).

Their website: http://www.odonoghues.ie/

On the plus side - it's REALLY easy to find!

Have fun!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

Thanks. And yes, I see the inconsistency of asking for no tourists, being one ourself:-) I have been in Ireland and Dublin several times and I am not interested in places where a couple of musicians blast away whiskey in the jar, wild rover and and other drinking songs while the audience (often scandis like myself) embarrass themselves trying to riverdance...

I'd like to see a full lineup of good musicians playing reels and jigs and the odd song for the pleasure of it, not because of the tourists.

Thanks!
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I think O'Donoghue's fills the bill for you... As I recall, the nights I was there they played lots of tunes (mostly reels) and I only recognized about half. I'm trying to remember the instrumentation - there were about 8 - 10 musicians (squeezed into the corner by the front door) playing flutes, guitar, banjo (I think), fiddle, etc. Don't remember any whistles... No "Whiskey in the Jar" or "Danny Boy" to be had (although, I DO like "Whiskey in the Jar"!).

Pat
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I wonder, is the session at The Harcourt still running? It used to be led by Peter Browne (the B/C box one, not the UP one) and was good, hard core trad. Some tourists, but only by word of mouth.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

The Harcourt seems to only have gigs at mondays and first one this year on the 13th february.

I kind of like Whiskey in the jar myself, but here in Norway the song is really worn out... And most people start singing the Metallica version!
Nuggets

Post by Nuggets »

1) The Cobblestone, North King Street.

2) Hughes's, behind The Four Courts.
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

Thanks! Three different places three nights in Dublin! Perfect :-)
chris_coreline
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by chris_coreline »

There was a great session at Sin e, just recently demised, the group which anchored it play regularly, pretty much everywhere. I wish i could be more specific. My friends, being resident in 'the smoke' generally have a better idea and just drag me along for the ride... Now if you can stomach the three hour train to Cork...

shop wise, there is nothing, NOTHING D:
McNeill's Music Shop in Capel Street has just closed and everything else in the city centre is guitar shops or the waltons super-store which dosent have much except the basic factory made instruments, Outside of pawn shops i have never seen a flute for sale in this country :(
Nuggets

Post by Nuggets »

McNeill's has moved, not closed! http://www.mcneillsmusic.ie/

Do get your facts straight.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

chris_coreline wrote:McNeill's Music Shop in Capel Street has just closed
Really!? When did that happen? I sent someone here on the board to McNeill's only a few weeks ago. Apparently they did go and it was open for business. A shame if it's really gone now.
Nuggets wrote:McNeill's has moved, not closed!
Ah, I crossed posts with this. OK, good to know.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

According to the website here, they closed the shop a couple of days ago (Jan 28). Did they move to someplace other than 140 Capel Street? Doesn't say so on the site... If they did close, it's a shame - nice spot! I had planned to return on my next trip over.

Pat
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

Back from a wonderful three days in Dublin. O'Donoghues was great, but the Cobblestone session was INSANE!:-) Started nice and slow around 7 pm with 2 flutes, 2 fiddles, a harp and an accordion player. But when the "night shift" came it took it to new hights! I lost count, but I think it was maybe 12-15 musicians and at least 4 flute players! And they were all GOOD! A wonderful night of music and conversation and pints. I'll be back soon!
I also got to talk to a italian pipes maker. Very nice fellow a also a flute player! I also bought a Chieftain Low D whistle from one of the shops in the city. Very happy with it!
Ketil
Nuggets

Post by Nuggets »

McNeill's has certainly not closed down.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Strange. When I went into McNeill's the day before yesterday, I could have sworn it was in the same place it always was ... it was in Capel Street anyway.