busking

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
john

busking

Post by john »

I am very much interested to hear about where people out there have busked, whether in their neighbourhood or on trips elsewhere - I'd love to know where the hot spots for busking are in the world - personally i've busked (on the pipes) in the uk(windsor), ireland and canada but haven't done it for a few years
pipernate
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: busking

Post by pipernate »

I'm also very interested in the topic. I've busked in Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Seattle, Victoria, Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Kobe -and can tell you the very best spots to play, in my humble opinion. It would be fascinating to get a list of the best GHB friendly locations around the world. That way when I do my mythical 'around the world trip with a kilt and bagpipe in a pack' trip I'll know just where to set up! There are things to look out for like what the local shopkeepers are tolerant of, where the best type of foot traffic is to be found and when, and whether or not the Yakuza control the busking pitch and don't like foreigners!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I've often wondered who the pipers in kilts were on Princes Street in Edinburgh. None of them ever seemed to be Scottish.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
chris_coreline

Post by chris_coreline »

Innocent Bystander wrote:I've often wondered who the pipers in kilts were on Princes Street in Edinburgh. None of them ever seemed to be Scottish.
none of them either sounded all that good either, to my untrained ear at least :/

Ive busked on Graften Streat in Dublin, the standards there are usually looooow, i was probably the best trad player on the street, which is surprising as its a damn hotspot, and im damn average. Temple Bar is good to catch tourists at but its hard to find much space, and i dont like playing near al-fresco dining places as i hate to imagine a captive audience who hate trad being put off it for life because of me.
Ive played a lot in cork, like three times a week. the hotspots are good but there are some little side streats which miss out a lot of traffic but have fantastic acoustics, and are just a joy to play in.
I have also played a few cities in England, briefly if nothing else, the money is really good because trad isnt widely known over there, so its exotic, and those that do know it are usually happy to hear it played authentically.

I have yet to develop the nadgers to go and busk in belfast, ill probably try it round one of the more nationalist quarters, or the cathedral quarter. Im put off for obyous reasons but also because belfast is flute city and i have already embarrassed myself enough by trying to play at maddens. Shame that i cant have the homecoming gig. must practice harder.

I love busking as the sheer practice of uninterrupted playing in-front of a audience (transient as it may be) is a boon to my own playing, my fluting is like five time better in barley three months of regular outings.
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Cardiff used to be great. Best spots would be down near the market, between there and the Hayes, or on Queen Street, right in the middle. You used to be able to make a lot of money in Cardiff if you got it right, but I haven't seen any buskers there for ages. Perhaps they've cracked down and banned them. Shame, if so.
jadphoto

Post by jadphoto »

On the same subject (sorta)...Does Victoria (BC) require a busking permit or can you just have at it? Of course not stepping on established toes is a given.

Our trio (flute/whistle/small pipes, guitar and harp) has done some holiday busking here in Solvang. Thought about going over the hill to Santa Barbara but didn't do it this year. Maybe next Xmas.

The local merchants seem delighted to have live music outside their shops.

JD
maki

Post by maki »

Let us know when you play in Solvang again, we get up there sometimes.

Last time we were there a lady couple on fiddle and piano accordian playing French waltzs. It was just lovely to sit and listen.
jadphoto

Post by jadphoto »

Hi Maki,

We might be doing some Farmer's Markets (wednesdays downtown) when the weather warms up a bit.

JD
Greg Connor
Tell us something.: I'm facinated by the simplicity and the ability of the irish whistle. I use it mainly for accent while recording music.

Post by Greg Connor »

My favorite place to listen to buskers is Boulder Colorado USA, on Pearl Street. a few hours and pocket full of Ones, really hits the spot!