Help - Football Anthem

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
avstu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Help - Football Anthem

Post by avstu »

Hello,

Im looking for some help from the experts. Im an Aston Villa fan and we are looking for an anthem for our football club.

Celtic are very well known for singing Yourll Never Walk Alone and Fields of Athenry.

I was just wondering if anyone could reccommend a Irish Folk song that would be easily sung by football fans. The reason I have gone for Irish Folk Music is because many football anthems/chants tend to be this kind of music.

Any help would be much appreciated.
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Help - Football Anthem

Post by chrisoff »

Why do Villa fans want to sing a traditional Irish tune? The reason Celtic do that is because they have a historic link to Ireland and still have a lot of Irish fans and pretend Irish fans. I'd also be VERY wary of copying anything one of the Glasgow teams does. They're generally not good role models.

Is there no trad music in the midlands you can adapt?
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

Do something local. Birmingham has... let's see here... Black Sabbath. Do "Hand of Doom". That'd be an anthem to remember.
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Get a hold of a C of E hymn book and play some of the chunes. There's a heap of cast-iron trad melodies to be had, most older than the words. I know that Monksgate (the name of the tune to which John Bunyan's Who Would True Valour See (aka To Be a Pilgrim) has a set of football lyrics* associated with it. There must be others. A lot of these were dance tunes back in the 17th century, and sung right they still have plenty of forward momentum.

in Glasgow, iirc.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
avstu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by avstu »

Maybe Celtic was a bad example. A lot of footballing anthems tend to be Irish tradition.

What does Liverpool have to do with Ireland? What does Everton or even Blackburn have to do with Ireland?

And also Aston Villa does have a very big Irish contingent in there support
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

avstu wrote: What does Liverpool have to do with Ireland?
You mean, apart from a huge number of Irish people? Liverpool's the main English port on the Irish sea, so for a century or so, it's been where the Dublin ferry stops.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis