classic major influences

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
MandoPaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MandoPaul »

On 2002-11-22 09:09, Michael Sullivan wrote:
I think it's interesting, and stupid, that very few of the names mentioned here can be found in your average record store like Borders or Virgin, where Solas, Lunasa, and even people like Clannad are what stands as Celtic Music; whereas in the Jazz sections the Jazz Classics get tons of space.
You lead into my next question beautifully. :smile:

So, what recordings are available (preferably CD) of these various artists and what stores/dealers seem to make an effort to stock these?

Just like we need to support music stores that actually know about the instruments they sell with our dollars, we should be buying at places that stock something other than Top 40.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I would suggest that you browse the sites of both Custy's music shop and the Knotted Chord, between them they stock just about everything available and they are both run by knowledgeable musicians.
energy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by energy »

Celtic Grooves and Copperplate are two web-based vendors that have some good stuff in that vein.
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

On 2002-11-21 17:29, energy wrote:
On 2002-11-21 17:23, Pat Cannady wrote:
Patsy Touhey.
I don't know about that...did/does he influence many? I'm not a piper so I don't know how much he is listened to now, but it seems to me that Touhey never held that much sway in terms of influence. I think that Clancy and Ennis are far greater influences on most, and the rest would have been Johnny Doran disciples.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: energy on 2002-11-21 17:30 ]</font>
Ennis and Clancy were both infulenced to a degree by Touhey, and so were a host of irish-american pipers including Mike Carney, Tom Busby, Tom Standeven, Joe Shannon, etc.