Jig of Slurs

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Okay, I searched using search but could not find the following answer:

In Jig of Slurs, do you consciously slur the first two notes of most of the triplets then tongue the third to achieve the title? And as well, is the note weight perhaps a little more even than it would be in an Irish double jig?

Sorry if its too obvious, but....
Wizzer

Post by Wizzer »

I downloaded the tune from Gaughan's song Archive. I do not know if the notation is the same as the version you are leaning.
I would think that they would be played as a triplet with grace notes with no tonguing necessary. In the Kesh Jig when you have 4 of the same notes in a row you play a triplet and then grace the note again.
i.e. GGG GAB you grace with
XXX000 (XX0000) XXX000 (XXXX00)XXX000 (XX0000)XXX000 XX0000 X00000 (GRACE NOTES)
I will be seeing Jerry O'Sullivan this evening and ask him to put it down on tape for you as well as answer your question. I do not know the tune but that will change.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Thanks Wizzer. I just figure there might be a special scheme because of the name..
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Yeah that's a very good tune, it's played a lot in a set with and before Atholl Highlander, at least where I went in Ireland.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

thats funny Az. This new group I am in plays it, Irish Washerwoman (I know) and Atholl Highlanders as their medley.

Not exactly BSteve's ideal of setting new medleys but hey, I'm the new guy...I just have to learn the tunes for now.

In my ideal, i wanted to work out some slurs even tho I get drowned out by the fiddler anyway. Susato time!!!
Jo C

Post by Jo C »

I think if you want to slur, across the barline would be better (in the first part anyway). I don't think it really matters tho.
Jo.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Thanks Jo. I was just wondering if there is a customary special treatment of this tune that I don't know about.

I had been doing it the way I do other double jigs (including the rhythmic weight thing Peter alluded to on another thread) and just by feel. But increasingly I find that there is the occasional "special" tune that bends the custom. And I suspected this might be one, that's all. Sort of like some set dances....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Weekenders on 2002-11-04 17:40 ]</font>
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

The Jig of Slurs is originally a Highland pipe tune, composed by Pipe Major G.S. McLennan of the Gordon Highlanders. In this version a slur is a tap. So to achieve the title (given by the composer), play taps.
Cheers,
Aaron
JimmyM

Post by JimmyM »

Like Aaron says, the Jig o' Slurs was written by an Aberdonian as a tune for the Great Highland Bagpipes. I've always interpreted the title along the lines that because you can't tongue notes on GHB, you have to slur them, using all the piper's tricks of the trade.

I've heard many different ways of playing the first few notes in sessions around Aberdeen, not sure which was the original setting - and its almost always umbillically linked to 'Atholl Highlanders'. An inspiring tune!
Wizzer

Post by Wizzer »

Slur of Jigs
I recorded Jerry O'Sullivan playing it and have sent the posting to Clips and Snips with his permission.
Jerry played it on a Susato high D whistle. He played it fast but not at full speed so you can hear the notes clearly.
He plays the notes as a triplet with no tonguing.
It is great to have a resource like Jerry in the area.
He will be touring with Bonnie Rideout's for December and January for her Scottish Christmas show.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

For some reason, I really can't stand the Jig of Slurs. I tried learning it, just to be a good sport, but for me it's in the same category as Over the Waterfall. And it is THE prime example of why Scots tunes are boring and Irish tunes are fun (that includes Irish treatment of Scots tune). So when the Scots faction at the session strikes up the JoS, it's time for a good draught of beer or in fact for the reverse process.

Don't mean to bash the tune, and can't image why anyone would be interested. But if I don't post stuff like this, Walden is going to outpost me by Thanksgiving and then where would we be? :grin:
/Bloomfield
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I'll be interested to hear the Jerry O'Sullivan clip since he plays Scottish pipes too.
And watch where you trashtalk Scottish music... you could be in line for a Glasga' Kiss! :wink:
Cheers,
Aaron

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AaronMalcomb on 2002-11-05 10:48 ]</font>
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Thanks so much for your attention. headed to Chiffs and Slips now to listen.

And Bloomfield, its a big world out there. Got any room for people with different tastes? : )

I like Irish whistly jigs more too but was asked to learn this for a band I am in that plays more Scots-style than irish. But I am trying to respect this tune by learning about it and Forum pals have obliged most generously, for which I am grateful.

Maybe if you heard the right person play it, you would find it worthy. Heck, they're making me learn Drowsy Maggie too, which is among my least favorite Em to D reels.....

Thanks again. I am very obliged.

The kilty Weekender
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I do pretty much slur-tap-tap-slur-tap-tap, and think this jig is great for learning to encorporating rolls, dropping notes, as well as being ideal for picking up speed. It is not a difficult tune, I can't think of any fingering problemsor breathing problems anywhere. Nice and bouncy, easy to personalize.

Now, Atholl Highlanders is ROUGH. . .IMHO
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-11-05 12:30, The Weekenders wrote:
Thanks so much for your attention. headed to Chiffs and Slips now to listen.

And Bloomfield, its a big world out there. Got any room for people with different tastes? : )
You know very well that that depends on how fat the arses of the people with different tastes are. :grin:
I like Irish whistly jigs more too but was asked to learn this for a band I am in that plays more Scots-style than irish. But I am trying to respect this tune by learning about it and Forum pals have obliged most generously, for which I am grateful.
I think it's a wonderful world, too. I hope I get such nice answers next time I ask about a tunes some dude out in California doesn't like... :smile:
Maybe if you heard the right person play it, you would find it worthy. Heck, they're making me learn Drowsy Maggie too, which is among my least favorite Em to D reels.....
Maybe if pigs had wings we'd all be wearing hard hats. But seriously, I was just sharing my very subjective view, and I said I didn't want to bash the tune. No need to get a knot in your kilt, my friend. I like chatting about tunes and I like being opinionated about them. But I also like listening to what people like playing (within reason), and I'd rather play the JoS with some pals than sit there in silence or talk about bloody Am. football or somesuch.

And trust me, I understand about learning tunes for bands or events or dances.
/Bloomfield