Mairseail Alasdruim/Alexander's March?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Bok Choi
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bok Choi »

Hello folks,

I was just reading in O'Neill's Minstrels And Musicians that the people in Munster were very fond of the song (tune?)Mairseail Alasdruim or Alexander's March, and that when singing it, some would imitate the drone of the bagpipe.

Has anyone heard any other reference to this type of vocal droning? I'm interested in finding out, for example, whether they would hum the drone, or perhaps sing the words on the drone note.

Many thanks,

Sheila Shigley
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

That reference goes back to the 1750s, that's an awful long time ago. I have never heard any recent references to it.

Anyway, Breandan Breathnach wrote some articles on the piece, they can be found in his anthology 'Breandan Breathnach : the man and his music' He discusses several versions including that of Mici 'Cumba'.
Bok Choi
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bok Choi »

Thank you Peter, I'll check out Breathnach. And, aha, another Mici Cumba tidbit for the files! I very much enjoyed O'Neill's comments on the man and his playing, and it's good to have the reference to the city in Massachussetts (Worcester) where Cumba spent some time.

As to songs and droning, it was interesting also to read O'Neill's mention of bagpipes being used both to play the melody and/or drone to "support the song", I believe were his words. I wonder if this went hand-in-hand with the singers themselves droning against the melody.

BC