I want to play reels.

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Dai
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dai »

I am able to play airs such as Carrickfergus
and many Irish ballads on my whistle but am finding it difficult to play the faster music. Can anyone offer some pointers as to
how I might realise my ambition to play as
well as Mary Bergin or Cathal O'Connell.
This is my first post having found this site
half an hour ago. Great isn't it?
energy

Post by energy »

Dare I say repeat the oft said rules...

1. Listen
2. Listen
3. Listen

The experienced players around love to say that...it should go into some FAQ file or something... :grin:

Anyway, that was fun, I beat them to it... :grin:

I find it quite refreshing to meet someone who believes that they can reach an extrememly high level of musicianship. If you're willing to put the time into it and be careful, Dai, I'm sure you'll make it.

As for improving, the three rules above are crucial, but it's not just listening, it's how you listen. The thing that helps me most is comparing. Comparing playing styles, to be more specific. Once you see the difference in the ways musicians approach playing, you start to see the things that go into playing well, and how much variation there can be in styles...anyway, I'll be quiet now and let the real musicians talk.

All the best in your journey, Dai!
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
energy

Post by energy »

Oh my gosh! I completely missed the point of your post...how could I have been so stupid?

Well anyway, when it comes to speed, it's not that complex; really, it just comes down to practicing slowly at speeds you can handle and then speeding up as your fingers gain the ability. I think that actually being able to play fast isn't difficult because it's hard to move your fingers quickly; it's hard to move your fingers fast and keep them coordinated. The important thing is to keep the notes in the right places; you start by learning to do this at a slower pace, and as you build coordination between the fingers, you gain the ability to play faster. When you can, you speed up to the point just below where it's hard to keep it coordinated, and play at that tempo for a while(a guessing estimate: 3-6 weeks, but it probably varies a lot between different people).

Please note that I don't teach this music and the above is only my theory... Translated that means: I'm just another idiot with a keyboard. :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: energy on 2002-10-23 16:49 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: energy on 2002-10-23 16:49 ]</font>
Dai

Post by Dai »

Thank you Energy for a prompt reply to my
post.A quarter as good as my whistling heroes
will suffice or perhaps enough to give me the confidence to join in a session in Dublin
or Cork. I will take your advice and listen
intently.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

If reels is what you want to play, Dai-bach, first learn to play marches, polkas, hornpipes and jigs.

And be prepared to stay in for the long haul. It's a fair old way from "Carrickfergus" to a session in Cork, but slow and steady wins the day, as the tortoise of fable understood.
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Dai

Our Steve is being modest. A great resource is his tutor page at: http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/

Since you're brand-spanking-new, take the time to browse the whole site; all the forums and Dale's main site (link at the top of the page). You're sure to find good information on how to play.

Teri
Dai

Post by Dai »

Many thanks Steve. I can play polkas and don't find them too difficult. It's reels
I can't get into. I played in a Dublin Session last Wednesday, I was not on whistle
I should add.
Dai

Post by Dai »

Reply to Teri : Thanks for posting the link.
I will take a closer look at what seems an
excellent site.
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

I agree that Steve is far too modest, and strongly recommend his site.

You could also search through threads here with "newbie" in them.

Try to get someone to help you over the critical early stages of learning, even if you can't get regular classes. If you can make it to some of the smaller summer schools in Ireland you will also get not only tuition but lots of learning by osmosis.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Dai

Post by Dai »

Thank you Roger. I am already learning from
Steve's site. Your Summer school suggestion
is a good idea.
How often do you manage to get back to Dublin? I was there for a spell earlier this
month.'Heard some fine musicians in the
Palace Bar and Gogerty's. First time I ever
heard a Double Bass played in a session. The
owner of this substantial piece of furniture,
a woman of no great stature, is to be seen
lugging this least portable of instruments
around Dublin's pubs.