A Question for Peter or anyone else who might know

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Ron Rowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ron Rowe »

On the CD 2 Gentlemen of Clare Music and in the liner notes of other cd's I have heard and read some very interesting talk on the background of tunes and songs. Where they were written, the regional style ect. Are there any resources out there that contains this kind of info? Being a bookish sort of fellow this kind of thing has always interested me.
thanks
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The notes of Ceol Rinnce na hEireann [see link in the book thread] can provide some accesible insight. Often these things float about, it's informaton that comes with the tunes when you learn them, stuff accumulated over the years. O'Neill gives the story of some of the tunes he collected in his 'fascinating hobby' book but that's about all I can think of. The Irish Traditional Music Archive is usually the place where serious writers of liner notes end up.
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

Thanks Peter I hadn't looked at the books thread, that site is wonderful
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I forgot the Fiddler's companion, a very well put together resource with sheer endless information on tunes.

http://www.ceolas.org/cgi-bin/ht2/ht2-fc/case=yes
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Somehow I had missed Fiddler's Companion in my tune-finding arsenal.

I came to "work" today wanting to find the Dark Girl from Julia Clifford and the FC zipped me right to it...

Thanks Peter!

Observations so far by strengths of my three favorite:

Norbeck's: Cleanest abc files

Walshaw's abc index: most numerous examples

FC: Tells you quickly if a tune is on a classic recording so you can be sure its the right one (that's what happened this morning

I know many of you use concertina.net as well but I haven't explored that one much.

I spent some time looking at Alan Ng's ultimate index but he doesn't give the abc's as far as I can tell except for session tunes. I was amazed that somebody out there has attempted to solve the problem of nomenclature and give a number to a tune once and for all.....