Wondering if people think this board is worth it.

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

On 2002-10-24 06:43, Roger O'Keeffe wrote:
I think the division of labour between this forum and the poststructural... works fine. The title of the latter conveys a light-hearted message about it, and most people get the message. It contains an enjoyable mix of signal and noise.

If anyone feels that good signal traffic on the whistle board is likely to be missed by the more selective readers who only frequent this one, then they could just post a message here drawing attention to whatever they think is a good discussion on the mother ship (oops!).

I agree, Roger. I thought that a lot of the information that emerged on that thread recently about playing (too?) fast would have been at home here—I have in mind your contribution and Peter's but I'm sure if I checked I'd find plenty of others. (The stuff on recommended dance tempos was very instructive.) Somehow everyone remained focussed and serious reflection on the relative places of music and dancing in the tradition took place. I learnt a lot from it and I'm sure others did.

On the other hand, I think it would be good if non-regulars checked out what was happening here more than they appear to. The question of what a planxty is is currently raging limply on that board. When I saw it I just referred the poster to our discussion here which went about as far as it is possible to go I think without just making things up. Then I thought I'd better transfer the solid facts across in order to be helpful but also to avoid being called arrogant or elitist or, what's the current one ... subtly condescending. I get the impression though that very few would have checked out the discussion here. Well, so what ... the boards serve different purposes, which sometimes overlap quite a bit.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

I find this board very useful. I am like the poster above who stated that I'm a taker here, not a giver, so you don't see me posting heaps, but I do read, and sometimes ask.

To my surprise, this board has given me a place to really appreciate people with expertise and knowledge about this topic, and not once have I felt condescended to.

Slow doesn't mean worthless. It may mean focused and thoughtful.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
aliceflynn

Post by aliceflynn »

I think this board is great. The whole forum is good, but the ITM section is the only one I visit regularly now. The transcriptions are a much appreciated aspect of it. Thanks to all who contribute here.
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

A sincere thank you to all for the feedback and support. It's nice to know that the ITM forum is appreciated and utilized. Also good to know that maybe we weren't completely out of our minds.

There are lots of tunes in the working right now; some exciting stuff on the way, thanks to Peter and his treasure chest of private recordings. If anyone has anything they'd like to contribute, please don't hesitate to submit.

Teri
manunited

Post by manunited »

Please avoid taking up reader times with worthless comments and questions.

Refer to FAQ, HA HA
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I to spend most of my time here and lurk on the flute forum, rather than the main board.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.