Looking for some good cds for my husband...

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Dewhistle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dewhistle »

We have a cheap set of Irish traditional songs we picked up a while back, but I'd like to get him something better. He likes some of them, though. He said it sounded like they were just sitting in a pub, drinking and singing. I told him that sounded like a session. There wasn't a lot of whistle or drum, mostly just like he said. Guys sitting around singing songs like, well, I don't know the names but there's one about a valley-o and well, you get the idea, it's about as ir-trad as it gets.

So... what groups have that sound? He's heard the Chieftains, this isn't like that, it's even simpler. This is your Da down to have a drop and someone says, "Oy, how's that one go again, Ard?" and he and his mates sing it at them and someone has their fiddle maybe...
"We took pictures of the native girls, but they weren't developed. But we're going back again in a couple of weeks..."
dlambert

Post by dlambert »

For great tunes and pure tradition all three of Mike & Mary Rafferty's CDs and Mary's latest solo CD. This stuff is the best for listening and learning from. Check Tayberry music.

Don
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

The Dubliners have done tons of music, much recorded live in pubs w/ boisterous audiences, if you want that ambience. They sing a lot of ballads and baudy songs, w/ some nice instrumentals in between.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

Give Two Gentlemen From Clare a listen, just box and fiddle played in a kitchen, no fancy recording studios or mixes just the straight music.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I have to agree with Ron that 'two gentlemen..'is a great album if 'pure drop'is your thing.It's punctuated by spoken intro's,and ends with Gerdie's reminiscences-to me ,this sounds like REAL music,rather than 'product'!
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

-Music at Matt Molloy's

- Noel Hill and Tony McMahon - In Knocknagree

- Noel Hill, Tony McMahon, Iarla Leonard - Music of Dreams

- Paddy in the Smoke - Irish Traditional Music from a London Pub

Buy them. You'll be happy you did. Start with 'Music at Matt Molloys' and move on from there.

Best,
Chris
energy

Post by energy »

I second "In Knocknagree" if you're looking for pure drop instrumental Irish trad. There's no singing on it, though.

Do you want more singing or more instrumental music? You didn't make that clear, although you seemed to indicate that singing is preferred.
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
Dewhistle

Post by Dewhistle »

Yes, I think he'd prefer some singing, at least. I'll be checking out all this stuff, guys, thank you.
"We took pictures of the native girls, but they weren't developed. But we're going back again in a couple of weeks..."