Female Trad Singers

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Alice, thanks for your suggestions! I will definitely check all of that out...by the way, I enjoy your own singing! I have a few of your songs on my MP3.com radio station, Songbird Pub. :smile:

All the best,
Andrea
aliceflynn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by aliceflynn »

Thanks, and happy singing to you.

RE Sinead O'Connor' recent, I have been meaning to add My Lagan Love to my mp3 page for over a year... haven't gotten around to it, but now that she has butchered it I almost don't want to put it on there. Ah, well. I think I will do eventually just so people have something to compare it to.

Alice Flynn
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Connie Dover has one of the most beautiful voices . . . not all her music falls under trad however(she also features a few folk songs on each of her album). Her pronunciation is perfect and clear and her voice rings like a bell.
She deserves a mention on this board!
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

On 2002-10-19 04:05, Peter Laban wrote:
It is unfortunate that a lot of people will see Sinead OC as a traditional singer. Taht she is not, far from it, a fine singer in her own right she is not at all close to being a trad singer, I always thought her version of She moved through the fair which she has been doing for years compares very poorly to renditions by singers fro mthe tradition.
I'm no Sinead fan, but saw and heard her recording of The Foggy Dew, and have to say that it is the only recording of this song I've ever liked. She sent shivers up my spine with it. Is there a rendition by a more accepted trad singer you would recommend to compare against? (I had formed a hatred of this song after hearing it done too many times by thoroughly incompetent singers)
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

For me there's Maddy Prior, then there's everybody else. Not exactly Celtic, but she's sung quite a bit of music from Ireland and Scotland.

Charlie

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chas on 2002-10-26 17:06 ]</font>
Bok Choi

Post by Bok Choi »

My vary favourite "Celtic" compilation is Datgan (or, "Celtic Tales & Tongues" if you're stateside). It has singing in Irish, Scottish Gaelic, Welsh and Breton by Lillis O Laoire, Mairi Smith, Julie Murphy, and Annie Ebrel, respectively. I think it's one of the finest collaborations ever to come out of trad music. On some pieces, Lillis and Mairi sing together, and on others, Julie and Annie. One of the nice things about this particular recording is that the singing is very traditional, yet the singers are relatively young.

Other favourites singers to date are:

Gearoidin Breathnach
Aine Bean Ui Laoi
Caitlin Ni Dhomhnaill
Roise na hAmhrain
Elizabeth Cronin (mentioned earlier)

Just in case you're after men singers as well, Darach O Cathain has a beautiful album out.

A lot of these are available from Ulstersongs (http://members.aol.com/jmoul81075/irsing.htm#Recordings) and elsewhere as well.

Another fantastic collection is one done by RTE on the winners of the Corn Ui Riada singing competition. It's called "Buaiteoiri Chorn Uí Riada" (RTÉ207 CD) and is available at: http://wwa.rte.ie/about/cel/merchandise ... music.html

Well, these are just my picks so far...feel free to email me if you'd like more details on any particular one.

Good luck in your singing!

Sheila Shigley
sheila_shigley@yahoo.com
Kel

Post by Kel »

Aoife Clancy? Where's she on this list? She's absolutely phenomenal. Have some of her stuff with Cherish the Ladies, and saw her live with John Whelan and Lawrence Nugent...that was a heck of a concert. Anyway, she's quite good, have a listen.
-kel
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I just bought an el cheapo CD at Music Wherehouse this weekend ~ May or may not be strictly trad, but it's Clannad Landmark and the singer is Maire Brennan ~ I am especially in love with the second track, "Fado" But to me, the whole CD is beautiful, I'm happy I found it.
Mary
Tom_Gaul

Post by Tom_Gaul »

Andrea, if you need yet another female singer with a very beautiful voice singing traditional songs in Irish see my posting under "Recordings of Airs?".

Best wishes, Tom
dd

Post by dd »

Just wanted to thank those who mentioned Delores Keane, with the description of her contralto voice. I was not familiar with her (being new to traditional music). With so many recommendations I splurged on a few CD's I encountered. LOVELY. There are not very many contralto singers who become popular especial with this type of music. Being in that range myself I am treasuring these CDs. Thanks to all who suggested her.
Jack

Post by Jack »

edit
Last edited by Jack on Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
brianc

Post by brianc »

Has anyone here ever heard of Lasairfhíona Ní Chonaola.

She is a 20-ish young woman from Inis Oirr, and the songs she sings on her 1st CD are excellent, as is her voice. :)

www.aransinger.com
Brad6424

Female Trad Sinders

Post by Brad6424 »

A singer you might enjoy is Kathleen Donohoe of Cavan Ireland. She's currently living in the States but her first CD is well worth a listen. Irish Songs You'll Love. The CD says her website is www.irishkathleen.com. I heard her live and her rendition of Cliffs of Duneen and The Town I Loved So Well are fantastic. I know the later is not a trad song, but good, none-the-less. Brad S.