single reels?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Are single reels 'real'? Is this an "official" trad. Irish dance/tune form?

I'm specifically interested in "The Peeler's Jacket"...some people around here play it as a single reel (AB), some play it as a normal reel (AABB), and some play it AAB.

Thanks for any info!

-Brett
Arto_Vallivirta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Arto_Vallivirta »

Yes, it's quite common form for trad. reels. Some reels are played in AB or in AABB. It doesn't really matter, but if you play for dancers, it is easier to fit the steps to the tune if tunes are AABB structure.

/Arto
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

Single reels (AB) are not uncommon but as far as playing for dancers is concerned,
AABB = ABAB They are more concerned with the rhythm and tempo than with the melodic line.
Arto_Vallivirta

Post by Arto_Vallivirta »

I myself find it very difficult to dance single reels if they have more than two parts. It just doesn't feel right if the parts of dance are longer or shorter than the parts in tune.
mandolin

Post by mandolin »

Perhaps any dancers on the forum might know - Is or was a single reel a particular kind of dance that fitted with a 16(8+8)bar sequence? I know that certain types of dance fit better with a 24 bar sequence - ABB or ABC.