Micho Russell Flute Transcription - Double Header

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Teri-K
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Teri-K »

Here's the next two tunes in the Micho Russell series by Peter Laban. They are especially grand!

http://www.nwparalegal.com/music/LassesBirl.html

Teri
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Hi Peter,you mention that Micho's flute was an Eb model,can you tell us any more about his instruments? Was this the original flute that he got from his uncle,or did he own several in his playing career? Also,i have only ever seen photo's of Micho playing a Generation(in various keys)though i have read that he originally started on a Clarke (a 'C'i presume)that his father bought him at a fair.Did Micho play other makes? And Finally(!)- did he,or any of the other great old players, 'tweak' them in any way? Thanks again for this tremendous resource that you've made available to us!(ed. for typo.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kevin m. on 2002-09-08 16:18 ]</font>
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Peter, any chance you could make the ABC for these tunes available? The resolution on the GIF for these tunes is hurting my eyes....

Thanks again for more great transcriptions!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Micho, like just about everybody else, was constantly scheming trying to get other, better, different instruments. I don't know where the flute came from, he used to play concert pitch flutes, I have always assumed he picked up the e flat one at a later age because they are a bit easier to play, he may have actually told me that but it may also be a wild guess on my part, it's a while ago.
Same for whistles, he used to play Generation although in later years he always carried an Oak he picked up touring the US. It was very much whatever took his fancy, I have one particular C whistle he took a fancy to, he borrowed on several occasions to play cocnerts during Willie Clancy weeks during the 80s [in fact he played during the second half of the concert from which the clips were taken, well he had to as my pipes are in C].
I also had a nice French made whistle fro mthe late 19th century which I picked up in an antique shop [for less than a fiver], in C sharp but which was probably the old concert pitch. He was at me relentlessly until he managed to have it off me, I always regretted giving in but once he wanted something he could be quite persistent, especially where whistles were concerned.
I don't know if he treated them in any way to improve them.

These transcription will go up on Steve's page with a higher resolution, Teri is doing great work putting hem up on her page while Steve is away. I don't mind giving the ABCs at some point.
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Peter, this is a bit off topic, but I just wanted to let you know that I saw a couple of your photos in the Burren Pub in Somerville, Massachusetts yesterday and they were quite nice.
Best,
Chris
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Thanks for the information Peter,lovely story about him 'appropriating' your 'antique'- it's stories like this that help to 'flesh-out'the player on the c.d for those of us not lucky enough to have met the man in the flesh.Cheers!