Just wanted to know

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Tradgirl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tradgirl »

I have been playing whistle about 6 months now and learning to play music by ear. A lot of what I know is by Mike McGoldrick. I have noticed that when there is a longer note that there is some kind or verbato(?don't know spelling). I was just wanting to know how to do that. Thanks!
"Everyone has the right to be stupid. But you're abusing the priviledge."
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Linsey

As this forum is for the discussion of the essence of the music itself -- technique, style, history, analysis and interpretations of tunes, geographic style variation, etc., the whistle board is more about the mechanics of playing or learning to play. You will probably get better help posting your question there.

Teri
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi Tradgirl,

There are several ways of producing vibrato on a whistle or flute, but the style I think Mike (and many Trad Irish players) favours is to wobble the spare fingers over the open holes.

e.g. playing G xxx ooo, you can wobble the right hand fingers (1, 2 or all 3) close to the open holes without actually closing the holes at all. Done right, this will produce vibrato. I've seen it done in concerts, on TV, and in sessions, though I haven't mastered the technique myself.

Another way is to use your diaphragm to produce the wobble in your lungs, varying the air pressure used, though I believe this is more frowned upon.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

On 2002-08-27 07:29, Martin Milner wrote:
Hi Tradgirl,

There are several ways of producing vibrato on a whistle or flute, but the style I think Mike (and many Trad Irish players) favours is to wobble the spare fingers over the open holes.
Since this thread is off-topic for the ITM forum, I suggested Linsey post her question on the Whistle Forum. She was kind enough to do so. You may want to post your response there, Martin.

Teri
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Thanks for your help Teri-K, I've now added my comment to the thread on the Whistle forum.

cheers, Martin