Which O'Neill Book?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
CDon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by CDon »

Esteemed scholars,

There are two available versions of the O'Neill books: "O'Neill's 1001 Irish Tunes" (The original, I presume) by Francis O'Neill, and "O'Neill's Music of Ireland" (Newly revised and corrected) by Miles Krassen. If one were going to buy one of these, which is the preferrable edition, and why? Any comments would be most appreciated.

Well... Now I find what appears to be a third book: "O'Neill's Music of Ireland: Eighteen Huntred and Fifty Melodies" by James O'Neill, Francis O'Neill (Editior), a Mel Bay book. Hummmm...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CDon on 2002-08-19 01:07 ]</font>
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

O'Neill published his book of 1800 tunes first. Then came "1001 Gems - The Dance Music of Ireland". The second contains only dance tunes, whereas the first has airs, Carolan compositions and other miscellanea as well.

I favour the 1001 Gems, but the choice is yours.

O'Neill's was regarded as the "Bible" for traditional musicians for most of the last century, but it's not without its idiosyncracies. Many of the tunes appear in settings quite different from those most commonly played today; in others, the key signature is open to dispute. So as with the Bible a little knowledge helps when interpreting the tunes there.

Miles Krassen's "revised O'Neil's" was an attempt to address these issues. I don't like the book because I think he had no right to take advantage of copyright expiry by marketing his revision as "O'Neill's". I also disagree with his practice of marking in all the ornaments that he thinks should be played - based on his knowledge of the playing of the "Sligo fiddle masters". I have other quibbles with it too. But I have heard that it is quite well regarded in some quarters in Ireland.

There are other collections that might be of more use to you. Brendan Breathnach's "Ceol Rince na hÉireann" series, for example, which we've discussed at length in the main whistle forum (search recommended).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StevieJ on 2002-08-19 11:10 ]</font>
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

I'd also suggest getting Brendan Breathnach's "Ceol Rince na hÉireann" series rather than any O'Neills. Especially Ceol Rince vol. 1 if funds are tight