Fiddle, anyone?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
energy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by energy »

On 2002-09-02 21:40, whistlingfiddler wrote:
...I think musicians need to connect with the music...
Ditto.
One thing that really bugs me is people calling my instrument a violin. Don't ask why, it just bothers me. Like when my family tells their friends "Erik plays the violin," then I play some reels, and it's not what they were expecting. It's really weird, everytime people call it a violin I say "Fiddle." I play traditional not classical! My dad went to a parent orientation for our school, and one of the moms told me "He said you play violin?" I was like "Don't say that!!" He didn't even bother to mention the whistles, bodhrán, mandolin, dobro....and don't get me started on those who call my whistles "flutes" :wink:
Actually, it's not so weird, I expect most fiddlers are that way. I know I am. :smile: When I first decided to try fiddle, I borrowed one from a friend who didn't use it. We see each other Wednesday nights, and he brought the instrument with him then. As I was leaving later that evening, he says, "Nate, don't forget the violin." I knew I had to nip it in the bud right then. "Ray," I called to him, "until you get this thing back, it's a FIDDLE!" :grin:

Does Win Horan have a solo album out? I heard something about it a while ago, but not anything since. If she does I'll have to add it to my hundred+ wanted list...
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
whistlingfiddler

Post by whistlingfiddler »

I heard that she has one coming out on the Shanachie label, and this was maybe a year ago.
Caoimhin

Post by Caoimhin »

My whistle has been called the 'flute' by my dad, thanks to what Thom (thewhistleshop) put on the customs thingy. "End Blow Flute". So from there on....That's not as badm 'cos it's half correct. My mum calls the action of playing the whistle "pi pi pu pu", etc, etc... shiver...
Jo C

Post by Jo C »

Matt Cranitch was classically trained, and Pete Cooper. You can hear it in their playing. Oh, and I seem to get the opposite problem - I play the violin and all my Iris relatives keep asking my to play the fiddle, and can't understand why I can play Mozart but I won't play jigs & reels.
Jo.
energy

Post by energy »

On 2002-09-06 12:51, Jo C wrote:
Matt Cranitch was classically trained, and Pete Cooper. You can hear it in their playing. Oh, and I seem to get the opposite problem - I play the violin and all my Iris relatives keep asking my to play the fiddle, and can't understand why I can play Mozart but I won't play jigs & reels.
Jo.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

This is a little OT, but where can I get a decent bow, and what should I look for? Right now I'm playing on a $45 fiberglass bow. I don't have any complaints, but that's because I haven't played anything else.

Thanks,
JP
whistlingfiddler

You can probably find a decent bow on eBay or something. I've never had a problem with bows, the one I'm playing right now is like $400 thing from 1950. It has mother of pearl and everything. My fiddle itself is from 1910 I think.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2002-08-30 10:46, DazedinLA wrote:
.....not as helpful as duck taping Molly Peoples Brady into my CD Walkman and ducktaping the headphones to your head.

Duck Tape?! Dude, you're really starting to worry me: I sometimes use "Duct" Tape, but I can't even imagine what "Duck" Tape is for.....

Seriously man, leave the ducks alone, before you get in trouble.

Loren
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

In the Chieftains, Sean Keane plays the fiddle, but Martin Fay plays the violin.
whistlingfiddler

I suppose you can call it what you want, but I just associate the word violin with classical music, and fiddle with anything folky, country, or traditional. That's why I tell people I play the fiddle :wink:
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

Anyone hear seen or used the Kevin Burke fiddle instruction videos (under the Homespun label I believe)? Comments?
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

On 2002-08-20 13:49, steve wrote:
Maybe someone can help me with two questions I have about Irish Fiddle - Is there any advantage to holding the bow so far away from the frog? and is a heavy deposit of rosin on the violin a badge of honor? I had heard that you don't want rosi buildup on your strings or fiddle. Thanks - Steve
There is an advantage if you prefer bowing with your arm close to your body or if you have a particularly long bow as I have.I feel in a session its simply easier to deal with bowing in a confined space and offers easier control than using the full length of the bow with a higher arm position like Kevin burke does.Im less bothered with rosin on the strings than on the fiddle itself.Strings can be changed but rosin build up over a lengthy time on the fiddle can become difficult to remove and a bit of an eye sore.:smile: Mike