It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:57 pm 

I've spent the last few days going through my cds so I can re-acquaint myself with tunes... I came across Seamus Creagh's cd, Came the Dawn (Ossian; OSSCD 90). Seamus is a fiddler, originally from Monaghan, who has been living and playing in Cork for the last 20? years, and plays in a Sliabh Luachra style. He has unusual tunes, with a minimum of accompaniment, and has a lovely crisp playing style. If anyone's interested in Sliabh Luachra music, I'd recommend his stuff - he's got at least one other album, the name of which I can't remember, but it's with a button box player - really nice tight playing.

The other cd that I thought might be of interest is Saydisc's Traditional Dance Music of Ireland (CD-SDL 420). This is music recorded in the 1950s from Johnny Doherty (fiddle, Donegal), Jimmy Hogan / the Jimmy Hogan Trio(accordion, Tipperary / London), Tom Turkington (fiddle, Tyrone), Paddy Taylor ([silver] flute, West Limerick), Sean Maguire (whistle, Cavan / Belfast), Michael Gorman & Margaret Barry (fiddle & banjo [chordal, as accompaniment], Sligo & Cork / London), Paddy Breen (Orcon flageolet, West Clare), Seamus Ennis (whistle), & Johnny Pickering (fiddle, Armagh). There are some lovely old tunes on this, as well as some amazing playing - lots of accidentals & what I would think of as modern ornamentation. This is a really great cd! As far as I know, there's also a Traditional Songs of Ireland cd... I don't know where you'd get this one though - there's only a UK postal address on the packaging, and some phone numbers...
Deirdre

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fluter_d on 2002-08-23 15:27 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:38 pm 

Deidre,
that Trad Dance Music of Ireland CD, are those also collected by Peter Kennedy? I know that Traditional songs of Ireland CD. In fact, I posted one of the tracks on the lilting thread the other day (it has lip whistling).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:24 pm 

Hi Bloomfield
Yup, the Dance Music of Ireland is Peter Kennedy. Wasn't sure about Trad Songs cause I don't have it, but it is mentioned a few times in the sleeve notes.