Customize the "new topic" area?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Hmmm, wait a minute, this message doesnt have anything to do with trad. music, but I was wondering, would it be possible to customize the "new topic" section and add a message in red or something to tell people about the basic rules of this forum? I don't know if it's possible with the current system, but I program in PHP and could well change the scripts to allow that, this way Bloomfield won't have to "filter" new topics for the rest of his life... :wink:
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

But I like it. Right now I am buffing up my black leather boots, and I've got a riding crop on order.

Now stop this OT stuff, Az, or I'll have to spank you. :wink:
/Bloomfield
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Geeze Bloomfield, I never ever suspected you were a leather guy, but I should have known you had a thirst for pain when you offered to play a few tunes with me back in june...

Hmmm yeah, I end up being the OT guy, but at least there's less competition in here!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-08-08 17:26, Azalin wrote:
Geeze Bloomfield, I never ever suspected you were a leather guy, but I should have known you had a thirst for pain when you offered to play a few tunes with me back in june...

Hmmm yeah, I end up being the OT guy, but at least there's less competition in here!
Actually, the fact that I offered to play a few tunes with you should have told you that I love inflicting pain... :grin:
/Bloomfield
rich
i see what you did there
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rich »

On 2002-08-08 17:00, Azalin wrote:
Hmmm, wait a minute, this message doesnt have anything to do with trad. music, but I was wondering, would it be possible to customize the "new topic" section and add a message in red or something to tell people about the basic rules of this forum?
No, I'm not going to modify the software for
one forum's FAQ. That said, I'm beginning to think that "For all instruments" is precisely the wrong description for the forum, because it looks like it reads "For the instruments that aren't covered by the other forums".

How about "Performance, technique and style"
instead?

On a similar note:

I'd encourage a "no for-sale posts" entry in the FAQ if that's what you intended, too -- and it might also be a good idea to keep in mind for the FAQ that written sarcasm doesn't always come across as the author intended, especially if the reader knows English as a second language.

On rereading, I don't think the FAQ comes across particularly well at all. I think I'd even encourage a complete rewrite -- this time starting from the idea of "Here's how you can participate" instead of "Here's what we don't want to see here".

Cheers,
<ul>-Rich</ul>