Cittern

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
lawhistle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lawhistle »

Hi, I have a cittern - 10 strings, 22", from cedar and rosewood by Fletcher Brock for sale. It's an absolutley beautiful instrument, am selling due to medical bills, so it's going really reasonably, obo. Thought I'd give first try here before ebay or whatever. Email me if interested.
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Darn, I knew it was coming... We can run but we can't hide!!!!!!!
lawhistle

Post by lawhistle »

Excuse me, but hide from what? Was I not supposed to say I had an instrument for sale here? Did I miss that in the FAQ? I've been reading and posting at C&F for some time. I've never been aware that anyone should hide from someone offering an instrument for sale.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I'd buy it from ye, if I had the money.
Reasonable person
Walden
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

On 2002-08-05 17:35, lawhistle wrote:
Excuse me, but hide from what?
Azalin is referring to the fact that our collective intention in starting this new forum is to restrict discussion to topics specifically relating to Irish traditional music.

Among the ideas being that a) topics will be fewer and stay current longer and b) that all the sundry topics (instruments for sale, whistles used by famous players, relative merits of Dixons and Susatos, playing in church, etc. etc.) would stay on the main whistle board.

Azalin made a joke in an earlier thread, something to the effect of it only being a matter of time before posts regarding Burke's for sale appeared - hence his dig here. Nothing wrong with your offering an instrument for sale, but since it's not a topic relating to "the music", we'd rather it wasn't here. That's all.

Steve
lawhistle

Post by lawhistle »

No problem, I'll leave. The first time someone here who is in the "club" posts something silly in response to an acceptable post, slightly OT, etc. I hope you remind them it's not welcome also.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

LA... don't be so thin skinned, it's no big deal. Just go back up and revise your original post topic to read:
OT - Cittern for sale

better ?
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Actually, not considered better. We really ask that people respect the request in the FAQ and refrain from off-topic posts whenever possible. Our whole purpose was to stay focused on ITM discussion and start an area where this could be accomplished. The general board is suited for the OT posts. Please try to understand.

Thanks!
Teri
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

lawhistle,

You're wrong, it's not the first time that I post a silly message in response to an acceptable post... :wink:
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Teri, agreed but the post was already here...
lawhistle

Post by lawhistle »

Teri- you may want to go back and improve your FAQ then, unless I missed something important in all that humor...it says post about ITM, if ITM instrument sales are OT, you might want to mention that specifically. That is specifically why I didn't post about it on the "whistle" board. I would have been happy to respect that had it been clearly stated. Oh, and you might want to revise that part about not being "snooty and elitist". Thanks to anybody who posted here who tried to be decent. You can consider this a dead thread. I didn't mean to offend.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Ermmm, I do think that it is a bit odd to send somebody to the Whistle board (Yes, I know, the Poststructal Tin Whistle Board, aka, the general board, but it still has Whistle in the title) with their Cittern for sale.

I have thought for some time that we should have an 'other instruments' board to round out whistle/flute/pipes, or maybe we should have a 'general' board and let the whistle board be a whistle board instead of a general board?

And as long as we have the boards that we have, I think that the board admins should reconsider allowing for-sales of irish trad instruments that are non-flute/pipes/whistles; disallowing flute/pipe/whistle posts is fully reasonable, but I can sympathize with the Cittern (or Mandolin, or whatever) player's dilemma.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

--Chris
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

I think we should have a "Classified" forum for sell/buy purpose, so that we don't waste important forum space and have more room for real discussions.
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

On 2002-08-06 18:00, Azalin wrote:
I think we should have a "Classified" forum for sell/buy purpose, so that we don't waste important forum space and have more room for real discussions.
Yeah, and I want to know what Loren could possibly have left for sale. ;P
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-08-06 16:49, lawhistle wrote:
Teri- you may want to go back and improve your FAQ then, unless I missed something important in all that humor...it says post about ITM, if ITM instrument sales are OT, you might want to mention that specifically. That is specifically why I didn't post about it on the "whistle" board. I would have been happy to respect that had it been clearly stated. Oh, and you might want to revise that part about not being "snooty and elitist". Thanks to anybody who posted here who tried to be decent. You can consider this a dead thread. I didn't mean to offend.
Lawhistle, you didn't offend. We are all trying to work this out, and it's apparently not easy. (Azalin, no more jokes like that from here on out, ok? :smile: ) The only thing we wanted to state clearly in the FAQ is that this forum is meant to be about The Music. Nobody wants to make life difficult for anybody. Some of us who have interesting things to say abou ITM and others who are eager to listen to them just would like to have a dedicated space to do just that: speak about the music and listen. That's why "for sale" posts don't really fit, and that's why "OT" doesn't really help. We're trying to make this happen as an online community, and you can help us by cutting us a bit of slack while we work out the kinks and misunderstandings.

thanks.
/Bloomfield