Regional Style MP3 Samples--A Suggestion

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Topic, an English label, were putting out LPs of great Irish traditional musicians at a time when there was no interest in doing so in Ireland. While their CD collection is impressive it's only the tip of the iceberg. They made dozens, maybe hundreds, of superb LPs of traditional music that have not been reissued on CD, and sadly never will, probably.

For a full listing, go to http://www.mustrad.org.uk/ and follow the "Topic discography" link.
Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Seanie »

In 1962 Sean O'Riada gave a series of lectures on RTE radio called "Our Musical Heritage". Subsequently three cassette tapes and a booklet dealing with the subject were issued by RTE. On these cassettes Sean talks about regional styles in fiddle playing and sean-nos singing and also has examples of other instrument playing.
(Tommy Reck plays the scale on the chanter and introduces regulator playing).
I mislaid the booklet a long time ago and I can't remember what was contained within it but the cassettes are very informative.
I don't know if this set is still available.
Cheers
John Moran
aliceflynn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by aliceflynn »

John Moulden's site has cassette tapes of old recordings - quote
"Almost every available recording of Donegal Fiddle Music is listed below: John and Michael
Doherty, Neil Boyle, Tommy Peoples, Maireadh Ni Mhaonaigh and various easily recognised compilations. "

I've purchased cassettes of sean nos singing and fiddle and storytelling from John and highly recommend it for building an affordable libarary of old recordings. I particularly like that I have field recordings with conversation in between the music, not just studio recordings. That really puts the music in the midst of life, where it belongs, and not just a product produced by a record company.

Click on the link to "Recordings containing music."
http://www.ulstersongs.com/
Tell John that Alice Flynn sent you.

Alice