Miss McLeod's reel

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

People not called Bloomfield are allowed to post, by the way.

The idea of starting a new forum for ITM topics arose out of a long and slightly contentious thread on the Clips & Snips board, in which Loren challenged me to "define lift, drive and swing" (or words to that effect) in a way that might help people eager to learn the subtleties of Irish style.

I replied that I wasn't sure I could do exactly that, but volunteered to post a transcription and analysis of a tune played by a good traditional player.

Once this got under way, Peter Laban agreed to do the same thing for a couple of tunes (especially interesting since he has clips of private recordings of now departed players from decades past).

So, to get the ball rolling, here's a link to the first of these tunes:

http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... cleod.html

It's a recording that has fascinated me for years, and seems especially appropriate since there was some discussion recently of the record from which it was taken (Music from the Coleman Country) and of the musician concerned, the late Jim Donaghue.

Check it out, and let me know if you find it interesting and/or useful!

Steve
Teri-K
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Teri-K »

To Steve & Peter:

Thanks so much for your hard work. You've done an amazing job!

Teri
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Steve, this is great!

It's amazing because when I listen to the recording I recognize Miss MacLeod's. It's really clear actually. But when I look at the music and remember the sheet music versions of it that I have seen, it looks a lot different.

I guess this "swing, lift" thing has to do with knowing which notes make the tunes and which don't, and then playing around with the latter.

Donaghue sounds really relaxed and calm but when I try to play a long, he is going pretty fast!
/Bloomfield
Bobj

Post by Bobj »

Why do you use a C whistle for this tune and not a D whistle?

Not obvious to me...
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

On 2002-07-31 14:41, Bobj wrote:
Not obvious to me...
I'm not sure who you mean by "you". Jim Donaghue presumably used a Clarke whistle because he liked them (see the note on his doctoring method in the article).

In 1972, when the recording was made, Clarke's didn't make D whistles.

That's one answer to your question. The other would be, why on earth not?
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Stevie,
I've been listening to the clip again (over and over :smile: ) and have a question about the first bar of the second part.
Bar B1 begins with a shortened eighth note high G,
shortened for two purposes: to allow a breath, and also
to put some lift into this crucial bar at the start of the
"turn". It is followed by a short roll on the same note.
That short roll sounds like a little "chrip" to me and I don't hear two eigth notes, separated by a tap. How does that work? It sounds like chirp-g to me rather than {b}g{f}g...
/Bloomfield
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

Steve, this is facinating! Thank you again. I especially like the slowed version since I'm not expert at hearing what is happening with the articulation and ornamentation.

Cheers, NancyF
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

On 2002-07-31 17:29, Bloomfield wrote:
Stevie,
I've been listening to the clip again (over and over :smile: ) and have a question about the first bar of the second part.
Bar B1 begins with a shortened eighth note high G,
shortened for two purposes: to allow a breath, and also
to put some lift into this crucial bar at the start of the
"turn". It is followed by a short roll on the same note.
That short roll sounds like a little "chrip" to me and I don't hear two eigth notes, separated by a tap. How does that work? It sounds like chirp-g to me rather than {b}g{f}g...
Bloomfield:

I just listened to the bar you're talking about - both at full and 1/2 speed through my headphones. It sounded to me as though that "chirp" was from the air push after taking a breath at the rest. Not an over-blow, but the alternative to tounging by giving the note a diaphram push. My ear picked up the roll immediately after the push.

Teri
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Not obvious to me...
I think once again it should be made clear here a traditional musicina may play instruemnts in any key and refer to the bottom note as 'D' this is common practice please note that.
I can see people here thinking he was playing the tune in D on a C whistle, he wasn't he used the fingerings as if he was playign a D whistle.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-08-01 03:19, Peter Laban wrote:

Not obvious to me...
I think once again it should be made clear here a traditional musicina may play instruemnts in any key and refer to the bottom note as 'D' this is common practice please note that.
I can see people here thinking he was playing the tune in D on a C whistle, he wasn't he used the fingerings as if he was playign a D whistle.
I'm glad you said that, Peter. That wasn't clear to me at all until now.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I have a question about the screen that comes up when I click on that link to Miss McLeod's. I get a screen that's in frames, but the only frame I can actually see is the sheet music...the other two frames to the right are visible for only about a quarter of an inch, and I can see and access the link for the Mp3, but I can't read Stevie's comments at all. Is anyone else having this problem? I have a seventeen inch monitor, so that's not the problem. Can it be set up so it's frameless?
StevieJ

Post by StevieJ »

Try this one, Blackhawk, it's a no-frame document. I had already set it up but forgot to mention it.

http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... eodnf.html

To see the framed version at its best, you need 1024 x 768 resolution. Since you have a 17-in. monitor I strongly recommend you try setting your screen to that resolution.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

That new link did the trick, Stevie! Thank you so much!
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Eh Steve,

Thanks for this amazing stuff, and also for helping to bring this new forum online. Now the challenge is not to let the "I bought a new Burke" people invade it....
Bobj

Post by Bobj »

I was thinking maybe the fingering was easier , or the C whistle sounded deeper or evoked some sort of regional feeling, or something like that. Didn't consider that they didn't make D whistles back then. Thanks Steve.