joe heaney

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

joe heaney

Post by lixnaw »

while plundering the local library, i came across the late joe heaney!!
to me he's one of the greatest sean-nos singers ever!! likewise was his father pàdraig and his first cousin colm o'caoidheàin, from whom séamus ennis collected a lot of songs.
sean-nos singing realy fills me up, very relaxing to sing!!
susnfx

Re: joe heaney

Post by susnfx »

lixnaw wrote:while plundering the local library, i came across the late joe heaney!!
:o

I haven't been able to develop a taste for sean nos singing yet...I'll work on it!
Susan
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Joe Heaney is perhaps my favourite. There's a fair amount avilable if you dig in the right places.

For lots of people sean nos is an acquired taste. Perhaps if you just listen to it two or three songs at a time at first you'll acquire it more quickly than if you struggle through a whole CD. Even though I love teh great highland bagpipes, I can often only listen to solo piping a few track at a time.
kenr

Post by kenr »

Sean Nos may indeed be a bit of an acquired taste but the chance to hear a singer in the flesh would convert anybody. It can be a very emotional experience for the listener. I was fortunate to meet Joe Heaney and hear him sing when he was over here with John Cage on his roratorio.

I met Josie Sheain Jeaic Mac Donncha years ago when he was on a Comhaltas tour and he thought the art was beginning to fade as the family traditional of passing on the art of sean nos singing was no longer as strong, but I think it's a long way from dead yet.

My personal favourite is Darach O'Cathain.

Ken
lixnaw

Re: joe heaney

Post by lixnaw »

susnfx wrote:
lixnaw wrote:while plundering the local library, i came across the late joe heaney!!
:o

I haven't been able to develop a taste for sean nos singing yet...I'll work on it!
Susan
it's not what your thinking susnxf (i should have mentioned "CD", i don't want any old ghosts waking up!)

to me sean-nos singing is basically the same technic as whistling, belly breathing and the rest of your body relaxes. while singing, i feel this stream of energie through me, comming from above and below. it's just relaxing and listening, like wombat says. but 'll need plenty practice!!
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I can recommend Joe's 'The road from Connemara' double c.d. album,which as well as some great singing,also includes Joe telling the stories of the songs,and talking about the art of singing.The sleeve note booklet is very comprehensive too.
I decided to listen to Sean Nos,as I believe that it is the key to being able to phrase slow air tunes correctly.I still have MUCH to learn! :D
The 'Road...' album includes such airs as 'Skibbereen,'An Droighnean Donn','Amhran an Bha','Eamonn an Chnoic' and 'Eanach Cuain'
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

i believe the sean-nos singing style is one of the very few singing styles that bring heaven and earth together.

it's very balancing for me :love:
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

kenr wrote: I was fortunate to meet Joe Heaney and hear him sing when he was over here with John Cage on his roratorio.
Did Joe sing "4.33"?
Sean nos is beautiful stuff indeed.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

does anyone know wich sean-nos singers sing mostly in english?
joe heaney would be sure one of them.

BTW:i think mary dillon from déanta has got a fair bit of talent for sean-nos.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

There are clips of Joe on the RTE Ceol net site, but for some reason it now asks me for a user name, password, and domain (!) when I try to listen to the clips. I've looked all over the site and can't find anyplace that it wants you to register. Does anyone know how you get past this?
Susan