Chicago Area

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
TigerLSU
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Chicago Area

Post by TigerLSU »

I'm going to be in Chicago This coming weekend (17-20), and I was wondering if there are any pubs in the area that has some traditional music either Friday or Saturday Night. Do does anybody know of any??? I"m leaving on Wednesday, so I"m hoping that someone reads this before I leave.

Peace,
Paul Cat
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

The sessions tend to fall on Sunday afternoons and evenings, but you might catch one on a Thursday night out in the suburbs. There are a few midweek sessions, but no Friday night or Saturday night sessions, the publicans reserve those evenings for bands, djs, and singer-songwriters.

If your flight gets in early enough on Wednesday and you rent a car, you can drive to Keegan's Pub at 106th & Western for the 9-11PM session. I recommend this one if you're fond of Mayo-Sligo flute tunes, Kevin Henry and Albert Neary are regulars.

There's one out in the NW side at a bar called Molly Malone's, but I can't say anything about it as I have not yet made the trip.

If you'll be around Sunday all day, try any of the following:

Chief O'Neill's
The Abbey
Tommy Nevin's
markD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by markD »

I can second the Abbey and Chief O'Neills as good places to go on Sunday. If you come in on Wednesday, the Murphy-Roche Irish Music Club holds a session at the Kerry Piper (in Western Suburbs--check out their website for exact location) on Wednesday. I thought that Healeys (sp?) in Forest Park had a session on Thursdays. Chief O'Neill's usually has an Irish band playing on Friday and Saturday if you just want to go and listen. I know there are many more and if you contact the Irish American Heritage Center (again, look for their website for phone number) they will be able to tell you much more.

Hope this helps.

Mark