Musical Tours of Ireland - go it alone or w/a tour?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
irishmeg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Musical Tours of Ireland - go it alone or w/a tour?

Post by irishmeg »

Hi. I am planning a trip to Ireland in late August, by myself. I want to mainly experience the music of the land, as I have just taken up the whistle and would love to hear uilleann pipes played live. I heard Galway and Dublin and the good places to go for music.

I am also considering using a tour and have found 2 that specialize in music. I am wondering if anyone has heard anything about these tours:

1) Custom Ireland Tours
http://www.customireland.com/touritiner ... &TYPE=LUXC

2) Go Ireland.com's Sessions from the Hearth Traditional Irish Music tour
http://www.goireland.com/vacations/musi ... _music.htm

Are there others I haven't found?
Should I go it alone? I do want to see other sites, as it is my first time in Ireland.

Any input is appreciated! :)
janice

Post by janice »

Mick Moloney used to do an Ireland session tour. I heard good things about the tours, but I don't know if he's still doing them or not......
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

Meg, I'd recommend going it alone. Frankly, some of what is listed on those sites is pure drivel for the tourists. Being on a bus means you can't be spontaneous and stop where you choose, and some of the best sessions you'd ever imagine are way way way off the beaten track. Certainly they're not on a tourist line. And you can get lodging that is FAR more interesting than most of the hotels that the bus tours hit...some of it quite inexpensive, and some of it OMG gorgeous (please take a gander at www.hidden-ireland.com with which I've had tremendous success).

If I were going (again), I would choose something in addition to music to give me an idea of where I want to be (prehistoric monuments, castles, gardens, scenery, literature...etc) then poke around to find the music thats in the area. There is a lot online, and many knowledgeable people to ask.

Good luck in the planning!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Second that. When possible, it's best to go it alone.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

I've been there four times by myself and had wonderful times each year. BUT...there are dangers. For one thing, a woman alone can face a very different world than a man. Many Irish cities (and small towns on occasion) can get pretty rough, especially on the streets outside of the pubs after the music is over for the evening. Also, if you've never driven on the left, that's a whole new set of hazards. I love Ireland and will continue to go back as often as possible, but it bears thinking about. On the plus side, all the previous posters are right...you are very limited if you go on a tour bus. Something's lost and something's gained each way.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato